Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-03-2020, 05:47 AM   #1
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

Exterior Granite Stained by Leaves...Any Ideas??

We don't work outdoors much cuz we do marble polishing and such. Customer sent me this photo of a new granite patio stained by leaves.

Short of telling him to cut down all trees and post a 24 hour sentry armed with a leaf blower, any practical ideas on avoiding the stains? There's no point in me charging him anything to remove the stains if they're just gonna come back the next day....
Attached Images

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Was it sealed? Tannins can be tough to prevent and getting them out can be tougher to remove. Try some warm water and oxy clean or similar in a small area. If it wasn"t sealed than repeated wetting will drive it in.

I had a customer refuse to remove a Walnut tree which after a few years ruined a huge set of Indiana limestone treads.

Shame they weren't at least warned of this, I love stone but there aren't too many places I would use it anymore, tile selections are too close to the real thing.
Unread 09-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

I don't believe it was sealed.

I think you're right that it's tannins...my mom had told me they stain all kinds of things, like picnic tables, etc .

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would start by letting a mild cleaner dwell on the stone for a while and then scrub at it. Then I would power wash it not letting the spray tip get too close. Experiment with it and use a little stronger cleaner if you need to.

Of course the stains will return in time but that's no reason not to periodically clean it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase