Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Canehdian905

Sealing stone backsplash question

I am about to install a backsplash with 2x4 polished clear filled travertine with a polished marble inlay. I have picked up some dupont stonetech pro sealer. The plan is to seal the tile before grouting but I have read multiple opinions on sealing the tiles. The grout will be un-sanded. Do I have the right idea or am I missing something?
Unread 06-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Ron
Tile Contractor

Hi Steve,

That's a good impregnator that won't alter the tone or finish of the tiles. You don't have to seal before installation. You don't really even have to seal it before grouting but that might depend on the tile and the grout you have. To be safe, let's apply it after you've set it and the thin-set mortar has dried.

Apply the sealer generously with a brush or lambswool pad or even a cotton cloth saturated with it. (Dispose of these things safely later ...it is solvent-based, yes?). Let it sit on the tile a few minutes (5-10) and wipe off the excess by buffing with dry terry towels. You should wipe off spills on the countertop as you go. After 12 hours or so, it is ready for grout. This first application will act well as a grout release agent. If you are using unsanded cement-based grout, you should repeat with the same method after a minimum of 3 days so that the grout has had time to cure a bit. This final coat will seal it all at once. Make sure to use dry towels to buff off the excess sealer properly. You want it in the polished stone, not leaving a film on top.

Sealing with an impregnator is very easy to do.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Canehdian905

Thanks Ron!

The one thing I did not consider is using thin-set. I bought some mastic (chembond 1640) and after some reading I have realized it is not recommended for natural stone. Should I be worried about this or is it possible that the sealer will defend any possible staining absorbed from the mastic.
Unread 06-06-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
Ron
Tile Contractor

I don't really know but I refuse to use it for anything. It is better to use thin-set tile mortar.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm not familiar with that brand so I can't say for sure. Some times the oils in the mastic will absorb thru the marble and stain the stone on the face. I've also seen it stain the grout but that was on a job where I got in a hurry and grouted the same day I set the stone.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase