Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-22-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
mondo

tile stain

I installed 20x20 porcelain tile, smooth and shiny on a bathroom countertop I made. When I was constructing it I made a dire mistake. I used a dry erase marker to label the tile on the good side. When I wiped it off the dye or what ever the carrier is penetrated the tile. I thought porcelain was impervious but I guess not. I have tried bleach, oxi bleach, alcohol, acetone, naphtha, citrus cleaners, and acid to no avail. Any suggestions. mondo
Attached Images

mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
LEXX

Steam? or replace it.

John 10:18
"No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down on My own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again."
Jesus
LEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Hi Mondo,

Nice vanity. I can't see the stain you're talking about in that pic though. I moved this to the Cleaning forum, I think you might get some action here.

DIY'er raises hand.... Teacher? Should mondo use a poultice?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Well I'm certainly no restoration teacher Dave but I do use a poultice. Alcohol is what will cut the stain if anything will. Water & other cleaners just tend to make ink harder to get out.
I get the 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the drug store, not the 70% stuff you probably have in your medicine cabinet. Try scrubbing with that for a little while. When it doesn't do much then I add a little tiny bit of corn starch or flour just so it will stay in one place, then put it on the stain & cover it with something waterproof (because the alcohol evaporates quickly) let it sit overnight. I'm guessing it might be too late after all that other stuff has been used on it.
If you do get it where you want it then you should consider sealing the porcelain because it's been polished (cuts the very top off the fired tile & makes it accept stains easier).
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I would try Tom's poultice. And I think others will be along to offer advice, too. I would only like to mention that polished porcelain does stain easily because the polishing (grinding) cuts open the cells on its surface and allows contaminants to enter. The tiny hollow cells in UNpolished porcelain remain closed. Hence, the unpolished is much more stain resistant than the polished.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Mondo

Is the TA3 what you're trying to remove? It appears all the color is gone. I also suggest a poultice. As Tom suggested some denatured alcohol from the hardware store. You can also fold some nonprint white paper towels, soak them with the alcohol, cover the stain, cover the paper towel with plastic, and tape it down to the surface. The next day remove the plastic and let the paper towel dry out. After the paper towel is dry, remove, and hopefully the stain will be lifted.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Ah, I see it now. On my laptop earlier I couldn't see those letters.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I have used WD-40 before on porcelain but kinda doubt it will work since it's down in the pores. Might be worth a try though. I wouldn't spray it on the tile, just spray a little on a rag and wrap the rag around your finger.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Mondo

If none of this advice works, just change your name to Thomas Anderson III, and tell everyone you initial all your work!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I would agree.I find removing some things,like pencil,very difficult on porcelains,the so called impervious tile.Maybe a poultice with toluene, or methylene chloride would work.

http://Davestonestile.com

Last edited by Davestone; 09-22-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
Tile-cleaning

John.

Thomas Anthony the 3rd!

That was good!

I dont think anyone said to try this yet but it make sense to me.

Go get some dry erase cleaner, then use that in the method doitright was taking about with the alcohol.

That should work, if not go get some Bacardi 151, sip a little yourself to take the edge off, the try it out, what do you have to lose at this point?!?!?!
Tile-cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #12
mondo

tile stain

well i tried the denatured alcohol poultice for 24 hours and when i took it off this morning the TR3 (top right 3rd tile) looks much darker then the TL1 (top left 1st tile) i set it all up again to go another 24 hours. i am thinking it has lifted the stain closer to the surface and that is why it looks darker???
thanks John and Tom for the info on the polished porcelain tile being more pourous because of the grinding process. a lesson i will not forget. it took me weeks to make the vanity.
thanks to all for your comments. mondo
mondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase