Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #31
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I guess the mud and heat wires are still in place. It's hard to tell but the scrap tiles don't seem to have very much thinset on the backs. I could be wrong. That might be a good thing this time but if the tiles are bonded well, the mud would usually come up with the tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #32
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Floor Heating

I would check your floor heating for continuity after the tile removal. You need to establish that that is good. You can test it with a ohms meter. The label will give you what your ohms should be when you test it. If you don't understand you may have to get an electrician to perform the test. You do not want to install the new tile before this is done. If there are some breaks, it is possible to repair them and salvage the floor heating. If there are numerous breaks, you will have to replace the floor heating. Did not want to add to the issue, but it is necessary to do this. John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #33
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

What's even better than just an ohm's check, is a megometer. That not only tests the continuity, but also the state of the insulation. If a wire's insulation is damaged, it may still have continuity, but could fail down the road. An ohmmeter won't test that.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #34
babyduck

Thanks ever so much for the information, we will definitely check out the heating cables. They busted up the tiles Monday which separated from the thinset without any damage to the drypack - which is good. They have spent since Monday afternoon grinding down the thinset and still are not done with that. But they are going to leave us high and dry in scrounging to find someone else to finish the job. Not a particularly attractive characteristic. I have told him mistakes happen - the upstairs is beautiful - lets just learn, be gentle next time, pay attention to what you are doing and move on. But no dice. Uggghh.
Unread 10-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #35
ZZZK

Do you have to eat the cost of the tile? Also, I can't believe ALL those tiles came out so clean? Doesn't seem like he burned in/back buttered any thinset into those tiles...
Unread 10-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #36
babyduck

Saga Continues - Now I think I have OPTICAL HAZE - Arrrgh - it is horrific!

First Tile setter used perfect 24 x 24 glazed porcelain dark brown tiles - beautiful in fact and fully reflective. He damaged a good number of them, 60% of the 83 that were laid), chipping and scarring the edges upon cleaning the grout joints so they had to be all ripped up. As such we had to buy another batch of tiles and had another tile setting company lay them - of course this was a different lot number as the first set was bought months ago and of course they are different in color. First ones were milk chocolate and second batch were more dark chocolate and of course no one noticed it as they were being laid and I did not check prior (stupid me.) .... so I have both tiles spread out over the floor. I can live with the color issue as there is so much movement in the tile a normal person probably wont really notice .... however the new batch has this awful optical haze all over the tile. At least I think this is what it is. It is dramatically worse when the sunlight hits it. There are 4 big windows so sunlight just floods in. They have not yet been grouted so it is definitely NOT grout haze. I would like to know what I can do that is not very expensive in order to get them to not look so hazy/dirty. I don't think it is a coating. When the sunlight hits the floor on one from the first batch it is absolutely beautiful the next one which is second batch looks horrific. Am I SOL and should just buy curtains. Cant believe this is such a nightmare - so mad at myself for not checking them first.

Last edited by babyduck; 10-25-2016 at 07:45 AM.
babyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #37
Autoplay
Tile Setter

When you say optical haze.......does it look like circular swirl marks on top of tile?

Pictures would help diagnosing what you're describing. Just guessing from what you stated,sounds like polish lines on top of your porcelain.
Unread 10-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #38
tatumjonj

I've never heard the term optical haze. What is it?
Unread 10-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #39
babyduck

Below are the photos - both tiles are cleaned and I have them sitting outside in the sunlight taking a picture at various angles. Obviously one on the left is the old stock and one on the right is the new stock. Until they were cleaned we never noticed the problem. Now the whole floor is laid - not yet grouted - and it is hideous. Cant afford to rip them up again.
Attached Images

Unread 10-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #40
Just1

I believe that has to do with the different dye lot numbers. Different lot numbers can not only change the color of the tile but also the sheen and I think that is what is going on here.
Unread 10-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #41
Just1

If the first installer chipped your tiles, he should have paid for new ones.
Unread 10-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #42
Autoplay
Tile Setter

IMO,it's pretty drastic,the difference between the two. Again IMO,it looks like a finish polish issue,or lack there-of.

How the current installers didn't see this while installing,is beyond me????

Need to move where you live. I could corner the market with passable installs!
Unread 10-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #43
Autoplay
Tile Setter

To possibly aid you......try doing a test with this......take some 1500,2000,and 3000 grit sandpaper,and see if the sheen/finish is enhanced by doing such. Use the sandpaper wet. If that works,is acceptable etc.....possibly seek a company that does marble restoration etc,and have em polish up the floor.

You could try a topical too,but will enhance the polish swirls you currently have.
Unread 10-28-2016, 02:55 AM   #44
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The non-uniformity makes it look like surface damage. What does the supplier say?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #45
babyduck

Supplier is trying to say anything that makes them not responsible. Moving forward though we are having to rip it up ... again. About 550 square feet. The problem is the thinset. It is over top of a dry packed floor with heating cables. We will check to ensure that the cables are not damaged - but what is the best method to grind down the thinset?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase