Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
suminjia

Is marble basketweave tile typically uneven when installed?

We just had marble basketweave tile installed in our bathroom. The tile is entirely uneven and the grout covers the corners of the small square tiles. They installer said that the marble is uneven, which is why they tiles are sticking up in places. This explanation does not make sense to me 1) because they installed an entirely new floor and 2) the tile, when it came out of the box and was laid on the ground was entirely flat. Is this just a sloppy install? I want a smooth bathroom floor, but don’t want to be too picky/difficult.
Unread 09-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
HS345
Tile Contractor

Sounds like a sloppy install. Could you post some pictures?
Unread 09-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Is it tumbled marble? Like Greg said, pics would help.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
suminjia

No it is polished marble. I am trying to upload pictures, but having some difficulty.
Unread 09-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
suminjia

Pictures of tile

Pictures of tile
Attached Images

Unread 09-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I have a piece of 12x12 marble that I keep in my truck that has a handle epoxied to the back. I have it just for jobs like this. I place it on the tiles as I'm installing them and press the tiles in, hopefully getting the mosaics flat. Even with the flat piece of marble some of those tiles still want to sink lower than they should. Those are tough to install and get every piece even. I've even seen some of the tiles on the sheets thinner than the others which makes it even harder to get flat. So, you might get him to change the worse high ones but I wouldn't expect them to be perfect.

The grout is a different story. All the joints should have grout in them. A wooden dowel sharpened with a pencil sharpener is handy to dig the grout out of the corners.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
suminjia

Very helpful - Thank you

Thank you. That is very helpful. I don't know a lot about tile installation but have never felt tile this uneven before so I wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable in my expectations.
Unread 09-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
suminjia

Fixes

What should I expect or ask for in terms of fixes? There are two cracked pieces I want replaced, grouting that needs to be filled in and tiles that are sticking up in places.
Unread 09-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
JerseyDIYguy

It's not typical at all. It's a sloppy install.

Here's some pics my bathroom that I did myself:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...9&postcount=56

Does that tile and grout look familiar??? It's basically exactly what you have.

I don't have any close up pics right now but I'll try to get some tonight and post them. My floor is extremely flat. I laid the marble basketweave over a base of SLC so I had a very flat surface to work on. My grout has none of the issues that show with your floor.
Unread 09-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Installation

If the installer says they came in the box that way, he could have pointed it out so you would know upfront, even before the tile was installed. Then you could make an educated decision on to proceed or not.

Even if during the installation he could have identified there could be an issue with the tile not being installed on the mesh very well. Stopped and discussed with you before completing the work then discussing it. All contractors have to due their due diligence in an installation. Good luck. John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
suminjia

Warren - tile looks amazing

Warren,

Your tile looks amazing. If you could post some close-ups that would be great.

I think we have a sloppy installation job. in addition to the tiles not being laid flat, we also found missing tiles (the little square gray ones), broken pieces (not the edges, the pieces were cracked down the center), and pieces installed upside down (unpolished side up). When the tile arrived, I inspected it all. It was even, and I did not see any pieces cracked through the center (some pieces had corners that were not square). I don't feel like the job is bad enough to insist on a complete re-do of the floor, but every time I walk on it and feel all the uneven tiles, it makes me so sad because it could have been a beautiful floor.

Can they take out some of the tiles and fix the uneven areas?

Thanks.

Heather
Unread 09-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
TN_DIY

Like Warren I put BW like that on my floor but in my shower only. I ran into issues like some tiles thinner or slightly taller that I culled out. So you can feel it a little but nothing harsh or sharp and I like it for that extra grip. On the main floor I don't think I'd be happy with anything set at an angle or too high or even too low. It was my first mosaic experience and I see the challenges with it. Most of it may depend on the quality of the material you begin with. In my case getting the base really flat first with a skim coat of thinset helped a lot. I used a small v notch and a flat board with a piece of felt on it to press the tile down flush with it's neighbors. I still pulled out a few tall ones and short ones and replaced. I'm betting the contractor wasn't going to that kind of trouble.

Could the right tools grind and polish a floor like this perfectly flat, like terrazzo, or would that be crazy expensive and not work anyway.

And btw I love the BW for the optical illusion of the tiles being dogbone/bowtie shaped.

Last edited by TN_DIY; 09-20-2016 at 03:43 PM.
TN_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
JerseyDIYguy

Finally got a chance to post some close up pics.

You get a feel for how flat the tile surface is, the definition in the grout lines, and the absence of grout "slop" on the small dark squares.

Bear in mind that I'm not a pro, I had never worked with marble or with a basketweave mosaic, had never worked with SLC, and I still managed to achieve a very good result. It's not perfect (marble isn't perfect -- it's a natural stone after all), but if an amateur can accomplish this result you should expect as good or better from a pro.
Attached Images

Unread 09-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #14
TN_DIY

I would say you started with a much higher quality material.
Unread 09-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #15
pokerliz

I did the same tile floor myself (and the wall!) and spent quite awhile, carefully wiping and cleaning all of the lines and around the dots.
I believe your guy did not!
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase