Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
minpinchi

Cost of First Floor Tile Job Install-is this a fair quote?

Hello,
We received so far (2) quotes and was wondering if the second quote was fair? The first quote we received was super high at $16,500+ and the second quote was $9800.00. We are located in New Jersey. Tile to be used is Florida Tile Berkshire Maple (porcelain wood look) and Florida Tile Legend Olympic (porcelain) and a glass mosaic for design purposes in some places. Quotes include the following:
-Remove existing flooring: hardwood in dining room, carpet in living and family rooms, laminate over ceramic tile in kitchen, laundry, short hallway and bath and ceramic tile in foyer.
-Fix the sub floor where needed
-Install 1000 sq ft of tile in any pattern (herringbone in living/family rooms and dining room. Brick pattern in kitchen and laundry and possibly bath or diamond in bath. And 12x12 diamond bordered by wood look in foyer. And mosaic where needed.
-Put back any molding
-Contractor to supply sub floor, molding, thinset

We will supply all tile and grout and dumpster

Thanks for any input!
Unread 06-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
jcsa
Tile Contractor

references

Have you checked their references? There is a saying if the price is too good to be be true it generally is. The higher company may have employees, the second sub contractors. If you keep looking you are most likely going to find someone cheaper than the low guy. There is a price for quality, reliability, backing up their work, getting it done on time and in budget, honesty and professionalism. Ask how long the company has been in business. How well are their people trained. Ask them about the Tile Council of North America Handbook. Do they know what it is and what does it contain. Ask them if they have qualified labor?
Are they members of the National Tile Contractors Association? Are their men certified by The Ceramic Tile Education Foundation? I know it is a lot to process, but check them out please. There have been plenty of people fleeced because they chose the cheaper option thinking they were saving money. The wrong choice could cost you double what the higher contractor is estimating. If you have to do the job twice is where i am going with this. I had a customer that chose the lesser price and called me back after the job was complete to give her my opinion of the work that was done. Absolutely a horrible mess. My comment was you got exactly what you paid for. Good luck!
John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
minpinchi

Thanks John for your reply. I forgot to add that the first quote of $16,500.00+ $8000.00 of it was for the rip out of the existing flooring. Seemed so high for the tear out portion of the quote
Unread 06-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
rmckee84

Tear out portion seems high but I can only speak to my geographical location.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #5
JerseyDIYguy

Tearout of $8 per square foot is very high, even for New Jersey. Plus it only leaves $8500 for the install.

So both contractors seem to be in the $8 per sqft range on the install portion (I'm estimating that the $9800 bid would get you to about $8 per sqft for install after factoring in the tearout cost, moldings, etc.). $8 per sqft for install is reasonable for New Jersey, but as John mentions you really should ask a lot of qualifying questions and seek out a few more bids.
Unread 06-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
Kman

I agree with the above. With the two bids being so far apart, it can be difficult to tell if you have one that is too low, or one that is too high.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Pricing

Here is a very good article from Michael Stone. He wrote the book Markup and Profit. Here is his article that might help you in your decision making.
http://www.markupandprofit.com/newsl...get-three-bids
Good Luck John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #8
Cain
Cain

Saw that one this morning j.c.
Good read
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase