Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Finally a use for Backerboard. I'll have to go to Home Depot at closing time, maybe no one will I know will see me carrying it to my truck.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #17
NEPA Remodeling
Custom Home Remodeling

A block on top is a good idea too. I have some tiny C clamps that may work well to sandwich between hardi, I'd needed.

I have tried using wedges or spacers between the tiles to hold its shape pushing through my 7" bench saw. It worked ok, but now knowing the backer placed under the mosaics will provide a more productive cut.

Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling Scranton PA
NEPA Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Here's another way too....and it helps two-fold. One is no floppers,two is lining up point to point easily.

Pics should explain it...Tile on bottom bigger than sheet goods being cut....and the bottom piece isn't cut all the way though,but it is cut longer than material/sheet goods
Attached Images

Unread 05-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #19
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Client was Spec'd with 3x6 tile for a kitchen backsplash but changed to a ~1" mosaic sheet afterwards. The ceramic/porcelain tiles are a quatrefoil shape. There is 17LF of counters which will be tiled. From my quick math, this equates to about 250 individual tiles that will need cut in half to fill in along the granite, wall cabinets, outlets, windows, etc.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to tackle this.

The tiles look similar to the image I attached.
I wouldn't fill in with individual pieces along the counter top, I would simply lop off the bottom and place the full sheet flat on the counter. If you are lucky, a half sheet will fill in the rest of the way to the bottom of the upper cabinets, if not, you may be able to use the pieces you cut off to fill in the top.
Unread 05-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Tape

Like everyone else has stated, it is important to know if the tiles are paper mounted or mesh mounted. The challenge will be if the glue turns loose from the tile. There is a product called tile tape that you can adhere to the face of the tile before cutting, that will help with the tiles getting wet. Their website is www.meshmountpaper.com. You will most likely have halves to fill in no matter where you cut the tiles as a filler piece. We recently installed a larger version. It was called an arabesque pattern. It is time consuming and the good thing, it seems you can be compensated for the additional labor. One other thing you can do is use a foam based backerboard and trace the tiles on them, then dig an 1/8 cavity that the individual tiles can fit in, and use it for a guide to cut single pieces. FYI
Good Luck John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #21
PetrH

my advice is the exact opposite of Gregs. I have worked with this mosaic several times and a soon as you get a sheet wet it will fall apart. Never get a sheet wet and expect to get it on the wall without cursing. Cut one sheet up into parts quickly before the glue lets go and take it from there. for outlets cut out entire tiles with a knife as needed, glue the sheet on the wall and then cut in the pieces.

Layout is very important so that you don't end up with teeny tiny slivers at the windows, or above the stove. I lay out the sheets on the countertop and see how it all lines up. I use ardex5 white, or Mapei ultralite for good non sag performance.

Yes there are a lot of cuts, but time wise it only takes about 10% longer than any other mosaic.
Unread 05-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #22
Bentley Construction
Serving Albany to Long Island NY

We have mounted sheets to usg membrane or kerdi on a bench top then after cure you can cut the sheet on a wet saw. The thinset takes over the bond and stays in place.

Keep in mind we do this when we have a lot of footage to set. Not sure it would be worth in on smaller projects

Bentley Construction inc.
www.bentley-construction.com
Bentley Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #23
HS345
Tile Contractor

Not all sheets immediately fall apart upon getting wet Petr. In fact, some are made.quite well, and do not instantly fall apart. I'd like to know what geniuses ever thought it was a good idea to manufacture mosaics with water soluble glue. My ancestors speet on their haircuts.

One trick to mitigate the softening of the glue, is to immediately transfer the sheets from the saw to some towels laid flat (I use a folding table), and blot it dry with another towel.
Unread 05-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #24
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

I agree with Greg. Many sheets are no problem, just dry it right away.

Another trick for really finicky mosaic sheets. Preset to 1/8" thick Wedi board.

We did that for an accent panel with some tricky paper faced glass that was miniature herringbone pattern. We preset and pre grouted before making any cuts. it worked well.

I assume the same thing could work on mesh or paper backed mosaic sheet that falls apart when it gets within 3' of a wet saw.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #25
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

Did the same with Wedi today and yesterday running accent stripes in a wainscot on some commercial restrooms. Really speeds things up for me on setting the when I have a lot of area to cover ( I didn't grout first ). Makes things much easier to get flat when your going over finely installed commercial walls We'll grout all the restrooms once we finish setting them sometime next week.
Unread 05-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #26
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

If the marble is soft enough, and you have a cooperative blade, try dry cutting it slowly from the top down - ala the dewalt dip.

Worth a shot.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase