Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #46
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The white oak in the family room and kitchen is also site finished. Since I don't think it's appropriate to post them here I'll PM you the name and number of the guy I used. Great guy, you'll llike him.

Here ya on the manual labor help. I did "hire" one of my boys when it came time to hang the upper cabinets. At their age money talks. "But you should do it to contribute to the family"? Not so much.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #47
2BPS

Dan, I just notice your comment about your LED lights. What would you think about using LED (recessed) ceiling lights in a bathroom? I kind of like the clean look of the recessed lights, but I'm not sure the quality of light will feel right. I was even thinking about not having a conventional vanity light but having 2 or 3 LED cans there instead. Is that a bad idea, based on your experience with the LEDs and the shadows? I know you were talking about undercounter lights so maybe it's apples and oranges.
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #48
ss3964spd

I think the floods will work fine, Heidi.

The strip lights under my cabinets are comprised of multiple LED's arranged in a straight line, and each LED represents a single point source. The longest strip is about 30 inches and has 14 single points. The narrow beam spread of a single LED, and how close they are to the counter (about 18"), conspire to create the slightly weird shadow and stobe effect.

The floods, though they'll still have multiple LED's, should still have a broader beam spread by design, and be farther away. Worse comes to worse, buy them, save the receipt, try them. Return 'em if they don't work out.

The "single" LED bulb in the pendent fixture above the sink is just fine. Remember, though, to buy LED's that have about a 2700K rating.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #49
ccp

Bringing this back from the dead.

Dan - did you grout the pencil rail you show in the picture or is what you show the finished product?
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #50
ss3964spd

Hey Chris,

Yes, I did grout it after getting it all fitted. I used Tec Power Grout 550, which I won't use again. Ever. It it actually stained the pencil strip a little (oddly it didn't both the limestone at all, and both were sealed) I do concede, however, that I'm a tile rookie so that may have contributed to my less-than-impressed experience with it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase