Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-26-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Regrouting and Repairing outdoor hot tub

I've been asked by a customer to regrout their hottub. The tub also has some tiles (4x4 ceramics) that have come loose, and the bulk of the grout has been discolored by excessive copper/metals in the water (due to a bad pump and motor) and something about the PH level being off as a result (im no chemist, so not sure how that stains the grout, but thats what the folks doing the motor and pump work have said).

I'm looking for some advice from folks that have tackeld this before. Especially concerned with using the right materials--> thinset/grout/sealer for the job. Underwater, high temp, outdoors, spa chemicals in there too.

Im thinking that just going in and regrouting the "bad spots" is not the way to go. As long as its drained and dry, I feel like we should regrout the entire thing, and reseal the whole thing. They are leaning towards "just fix the bad spots" i think due to cost.

Also, is there a better way to remove old grout thatn a dremel? My current methd is dremel, razorknife/screwdriver/old chisel, then shopvac out the crumbs Im open to any ideas that make this easier.

Appreciate any help.
HeenanGC.com

Last edited by Deckert; 06-26-2007 at 02:46 AM. Reason: changed title
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-26-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
gwataloo
Tile Man, Shenandoah, VA.

I'm with you on regrouting the whole thing while the tub is empty. I would suggest using Spetalock. I would also use Keralastic to set the tiles with. As far as cutting out joints,I normally use a razor knife. I'v tried a Rotozip before but I burnt up to many blades. And those thins are not cheap. I'm sure somebody has a faster and easier way of cutting them out.
Unread 06-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I just cant see going to all the work of draining the thing, and then leaving parts of the old stained grout in there. As long as I'm there, might as well bring everything up to the same age and start fresh.

Still interested in hearing about any specific sealers i should be using, and any good tips for getting old grout out.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase