Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Chili_Dogger

Kitchen Remodel - design phase

I am planning a kitchen remodel that will involve replacing my old kitchen cabinets, countertops, and adding a new backsplash, and a new bank of 18” depth base cabinets along one wall.

I plan on custom building the casework using prefinished birch plywood, cherry face frames and door / drawer fronts. I'm planning on simple shaker style doors.

My kitchen is somewhat small and the current layout consists of a 93” long L shape on the sink wall with the small leg of the L sticking out as a peninsula.

On the other side, is the Refrigerator, a 12” base, the stove/oven, and a 18” wide base that I intend to replace with a 30” wide unit. after that, there is about 6’ of space (the eating area) that I intend to install a 18” deep base cabinet with storage drawers under it (I haven’t decided exactly how wide the individual units on that side will be yet.)

Countertop wise, I was thinking of mixing wood and porcelain tile as follows.
- Tile along the long part of the sink wall with the peninsula being a 24”x 26” wood butcher block (maple endgrain glue up) since this is the main food prep area.
- Matching tile on either side of the stove, and white oak butcher block glue up for the short, shallow depth casework next to the eating area. (mainly because I have access to a bunch of quality oak planks for a fantastic price, $0)

1) Substrate. My thinking was using 1-1/2 thick kerdi board along the sink wall and over the dishwasher. My biggest concern in this area is moisture / water issues from the sink and the dishwasher. currently this area is also where the toaster sits and the occasional slow cooker / instant pot. My plan is that I can move those appliances to the other side and avoid any high temp appliances on this countertop.

Have there been any reported issues of kerdi board countertops failing due to high temperature caused by typical cooking activities?

I am concerned enough about this that I was thinking of building the substrate for the other side out of plywood treated with hydro ban, or even cement board installed over plywood. the top of the stove area gets fairly hot when in use. these sections are small enough that i can cover them with one or two tiles.

Even using Schulter trim, how can I minimize the ragged edges on cut porcelain tile?

any suggestions, thoughts?

thanks
Unread 02-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Chili_Dogger

The other issue, is the sink.

I’m thinking that I’ll have to go with a top mount sink. I'm not entirely sold on the Schulter tile under system, and I don’t see how a undercount sink would work.

Maybe an apron front style. still trying to find one that isn’t ridiculously overpriced.
Unread 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Let me see if I can address some of your concerns.

1. I doubt a crock pot or toaster or any other countertop appliance would be considered "high temperature". In all my years remodeling, with a variety of countertop and substrate materials, I can't say I've seen any damage from such appliances. Hot pan off the cooktop is another story.

2. Drop-in sink would be my choice on a tile countertop. Tile-in sinks were in vogue some years ago, but are fussy to install and difficult to replace should they get damaged.

3. If your dishwasher is introducing moisture into countertop, something else is wrong.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 02-28-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Even using Schulter trim, how can I minimize the ragged edges on cut porcelain tile?
Shouldn't be any ragged edges on your cut porcelain tile. What are you using to cut them?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase