Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

BiGGGAPP. What were they thinking? Remedy?

Setup:

Kids bath, entry door looking towards what will be the vanity, heavy traffic.
Ply is 3/4” T&G left side ply, right side OSB.
Gap is 1/2” wide, each side is sitting on beam-sistered joists with sister joint running down middle of gap. Then standard joists running perpendicular to the gap on left side of the gap. Parallel on the right side.

Appears to be sturdy, however there’s a half inch wide by three-quarter inch deep gap running across of the room.

Is there a standard fix/way to address short of cutting subfloor section out and replacement?

Going over it with RPM mats, heating wire cable, leveling concrete 5/16 inch thick, then 12 x 24 3/8” thick porcelain tiles.

Additional question, this house is about 20 years old and was built by the builder Who lived in it until recently sold to current resident. Throughout they used 2 foot wide by 8 foot long three quarter-inch plywood or OSB strips as sub floor and the funny thing is they all have 1/2” holes about 18 inches apart Running the length of the panels right in the center. And many of the panels are covered with remnants of concrete residue. Me thinks they are concrete forms that were re-purposed? Not being a new construction guy, I’ve never seen those before. Good guess?
Attached Images

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm not sure the best way to fix the gap but I think you're right about the concrete forms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xRN4T3XjdQ

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Thanks Davy, Yep, I think that’s what the builder used to build his doggone subfloors. Even worse than that, you know there is no tongue and groove so I had to pull out a strip and put my own in. (Below) Pain in the arse. And, even worse than that , I forgot that they use a release agent on the wood which would probably make sticking Ditra or some other glue-on substrate – suspect. Already planned on belt sanding the floors.

But that still leaves me with the issue of the half inch wide void. Maybe I’ll wave a flag and our pal CX will wade in. I know what the answer will be, fix it and then put another layer of plywood on it, and he would be right. It’s just a matter of how right I have to be to be right enough.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topspin; 08-24-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Unread 08-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Have built lots of those forms over the years and nearly always used CD plywood. Never seen anybody use OSB, but if I'd done that I surely wouldn't wanna use the panels for subflooring. I'd actually not even wanna use any of the plywood panels as subflooring for any house I was building. The plywood can be pretty seriously compromised from just a single use as form wood. Might consider using some of the better specimens as subflooring where there was to be carpet installed, but never have.

We generally used motor oil thinned with diesel fuel as our release agent and it was used motor oil if that was available.

What's your plan for all the other edges that are not T&G and which you're not removing and replacing?

And yes, I would recommend a second layer of half-inch plywood after you've got the existing subfloor in shape. I suppose it's possible to stabilize those square edges by properly fastening the second layer over the joints and screwing both sides of the bottom layer joint. You'd need some careful measuring and marking and I'd want some adhesive right there, too.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

So then no filling the gap with old socks and just tiling over it then.

Seriously tho, the gap is less than one joist bay away from the parallel wall, so surgery is a bit more difficult with the next support joist under a wall. Second layer is simple, surgery on the patient’s skin has me scratching my head.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase