Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
dgbldr

Waterproof Hardiebacker - reports?

Anyone using it yet? First impressions?

https://www.jameshardie.com/products...d/hydrodefense

Edit: sorry about the title, can't seem to be able to edit it. Moderators?

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 11-27-2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Edit title
dgbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
speed51133

When complete waterproofing is required, seal all joints, edges and fastener
penetrations with a liquid waterproofing membrane. Follow the liquid
waterproofing membrane manufacturer application instructions.

Odd they don't say what to use and how to use it. I'll be at the kbis and ibs trade shows in January. I'll talk to the reps about it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/James-Hardi...ard/1001066302

It's 20 bucks a 3x5 sheet. It also says it's waterproof throughout the sheet, not just surface.
Unread 11-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
dgbldr

Rep tells me they rolled it out starting in the South first, so I tought maybe some of our Southern guys were using it by now...
Unread 12-03-2019, 02:23 AM   #4
nekotile
Tile Enthusiast

Lowe's guy here. Sales have been good on hydrodefense since it rolled out 2 months ago. The hardie rep visited a few weeks ago for my thoughts on it. So far I say good. Water poured on it beads and does not absorb at all much like kerdi board. I haven't tried soaking a piece in a bucket of water to see how long it holds up (didn't even think of it till I saw this!), but I will when I get a damaged piece to work with.

My thoughts to the rep are it will be more useful for contractors vs homeowners as your going to save more on using less aquadefense vs the increased cost over normal half inch hardie over multiple jobs. If your a homeowner just doing one shower, you'll need a tub of aqua anyway for the seams and one tub is enough for a small basic shower usually.

Not that most "contractors" I work with even bother waterproofing their shower installs. Or taping seams. Or not using mastic and drywall screws in the shower... nevermind don't get me started.

It obviously doesn't have the major advantage of being super light and easy to work with like kerdi board but then it's still half the price.

Still not enough to keep me from using perrmabase on my own projects.
Unread 12-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Still not enough to keep me from using perrmabase on my own projects.
And PermaBase/National Gypsum is one of our cherished sponsors.

Hi, Billy. Hope you hang around.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2019, 02:11 AM   #6
nekotile
Tile Enthusiast

Thanks, I will! I'm a standards fanatic with a binder full of Schluter and Mapei material, my 2018 TCNA handbook, and several folders of printed PDF's of material data sheets for my products in my drawer at my desk. I have the section on applying a polymer modified thinset mortar underneath cementitous backer board on a floor highlighted in my handbook to show my customers when their contractor says "you don't need to do that". I've heard "You're one of those John Bridge Guys" by a few contractors now, had to find out what that meant.

I'm honored. Nice to be here!
Unread 12-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
You're one of those John Bridge Guys
Oh, the horrors.

Pretty sure I'd counter with "it's a shame you're not".
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #8
smifwal

Being a part of this forum has stepped my tile game up 1000%. I learned from guys that learned from someone else and so on, and somewhere in the passing down of knowledge and new products coming out and people not doing their research on said products,doing it 100% by the book was lost. When I correct one of my tile laying friends on something they are doing, 9 times out of 10 they say well that is how I learned. And I can sympathize with that as we have all probably fell victim to that in some aspect of our lives. My problem is that once you know that what you are doing is wrong and you continue to do it that way, whether it is because it is cheaper,faster or you say well I have never had a failure, that is when you become a turd in my book. I don't use products that I don't know and if I have to I do my research on them and their limitations. I am proud to be a member of this community and learn new things almost every time I get on here
Unread 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
speed51133

I have been told by some local pros that "tile geeks" on facebook (closed group) is where you need to go for information, as John Bridge let's any idiot with an email join
Unread 12-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

You might point out to "some local pros" that the guys who started Tile Geeks were idiots from the John Bridge website, Mike.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #11
nekotile
Tile Enthusiast

Sorry for some reason I cannot find a quote button.

For ss3964spd:

Yes I wish I could say that. Tradesman should take pride in doing things right, as I do in my current role. I can politely explain manufacturer instructions and quote TCNA, ANSI and ASTM standards, but if they want to do it wrong there is nothing I can do about it. I have to be careful with them since those "I've been doing it this way for 30 years" guys don't like it.

But for every one of those guys that gets mad your telling them they are skipping steps or using things improperly, I get 9 other DIY customers, "tile setters" who can lay flooring but don't have the product knowledge I do and rely on our advise, and customers popping in with a materials list from their contractor that we can umm, revise so the right product is being used in the right place. Also a few real tradesman who just come to me because they love their trade and enjoy talking about it with another enthusiast (I love these guys and gals btw, learn something new almost every time, and the pride and attention to detail they take in their work is seriously motivational!).

And they are the ones coming back again and again and appreciate the blunt honest advise to do things the right way the first time. So, being a "John Bridge Guy" is better whether your in sales or installation. Nothing is more valuable than the trust of your customers.

Last edited by nekotile; Yesterday at 10:42 PM.
nekotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Sorry for some reason I cannot find a quote button.
Don't have one, Billy.

But if you'll visit our FAQ or the Liberry you'll find a brief tutorial on how to post and properly attribute quotes here on the site. Very simple once you see it.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:34 PM   #13
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

My local Daltile had a piece of this new waterproof Hardibacker on display. It looks like normal Hardibacker with Redgard on it. Not sure what I expected but that's what it looked like. Don't know what it cost.

It'll be interesting to see if they change their installation instructions on the normal version to something like "not suitable for wet areas" so that you have to buy the new waterproof version.

After all, it sure looks like the normal version works just fine in wet areas, doesnt it?

Name:  hardibacker screenshot.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  42.5 KB

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase