Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
.Jimmy

Kerdi - Glass Tile(50mX100mX7m) and the Choice of Mortar

Admin & Members,
First of all thanks for using vBulletin. It's great when you can navigate around a forum with easy no matter the subject or interest.

Here's my predicament:
I'm the homeowner and I'm remodeling my bathroom. This project has taken some time as I work in marketing and I'm on the road about 7~9 months of the year with small breaks in between at the house. When I'm not unwinding I continue to work on the bathroom remodel.

After watching the Schluter videos about Kerdi and Ditra some time ago I fell hook line and sinker for the design intent. It's a great idea.

I have a 32" deep and 48" wide walk in shower that I'm retiling. The Kerdi is already layed and in place. I used the shower pan kit.

I have matte white glass tile (measurements in subject line) that's on matting and measure a 12"X12" section that I procured from Custom Floors. The tile vendor is Caledonia (box is clearly marked 'made in china.')

As I'm fully aware, Schluter recommends unmodified thin-set which I used for the Kerdi, walls and pan. I used Kerabond by Mapei (Premium Grade Dry-Set Mortar)

After taking time to reread the Schluter instructions over Turkey day I discovered that certain glass tiles may not be compatible with bonded waterproof membranes and/or may require special setting materials.

I called Caledonia is they replied with 'White Mastic.' NFW!!!:

I called Schluter in Deerfield Beach and they basically said this. "...you have two impervious materials that will not let the water out/evaporate to form a good bond after you grout." She then went on to say (but used CYA language) that if you can wait to let the mortar dry by not grouting then there should not be a problem with the bond. I can't remember is she was using the words modified or unmodified when referring to mortar.

I have found that Mapei has Adesilex P10 that is specially mortar for glass tile. Some of the feature of Adesilex are anti-saging and bright white.

Am I right with Adesilex or do you recommend or suggest something different, and why?
Additionally, I have the ability to not grouting and let the mortar dry for 28 days?, 2 weeks?, 1 week? Whatever it takes for a great bond.
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
gueuzeman

Quote:
I have matte white glass tile (measurements in subject line)
Yes you do- 50m x 100m. Meters? That's BIGGGG!

Even in Cm that's big. Millimeters? Care to do a metric/english rough approximation for us?

Pokie steve did some 12 x 24 INCH glass a while back that I think he allowed to dry for 2 or 3 weeks before grouting, IIRC.

There's a picture somewhere......

Use the modified- let it cure.

gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Jimmy,

While I have no experience with the specific thinset you mentioned, I hear good things about it and someone will chime in. Laticrete 254 will also work nicely.

We do a ton of glass tiled showers. I'd wait 3-4 days before grouting with normal cementitious grout or 7 days before epoxy grout. With either grout selection, keep the bathroom well ventilated as the thinset cures.

EDIT- I went to the conversion site and figured out its 2X4 tile, 1/4" thick

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jimmy.

The whole discussion about types of thinset mortar to be used according to any manufacturer of tile substrate material could be boiled down to CYA language. But it's still their product and they get to make their own rules.

When there is a conflicting requirement on the part of the tile manufacturer and the substrate manufacturer and you elect to use both products, you get to chose which requirement to follow.

When it comes to glass tiles, we invariably recommend you follow the recommendations of the glass tile manufacturer in regards to setting materials.

Depending upon the size of your glass tiles, if you use a highly modified thinset mortar, you might need to wait from no extra time at all to several extra days when setting over a membrane such as Kerdi.

Keep in mind that manufacturers of similar waterproofing membranes usually require, rather than prohibit the use of such modified mortars over their product.

I'd use the glass manufacturer's required mortar and just give it a little extra setting time. And never lose a minute's sleep.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
.Jimmy

Milimeters

Thanks for the feedback so quickly. The glass tile is 50mmX100mmX7mm thick and it's the wall that will get the glass tile. The floor tile in 1"X1" ceramic tile.

I called the vendor of the glass tile here in Indy and he could not answer the question so he called the office in Canada and they replied with White Mastic, I know that's not right. I may have to call Canada to talk with someone specifically.
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
gueuzeman

I'm not sure, but in Canadianeese, white mastic might be translated to "Highly modified thinset mortar" in "real" english.

Or they don't have a clue. (EDIT- in a shower, no less)

Unlike CX, my opinion is worth even less than price charged.

gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

"White mastic for glass" is the word from the manufacturer?! Yikes!

Wow, that's just the poorest answer imaginable. Hopefully, that's a simple error on one individual's part rather than any sort of remotely serious answer from the "manufacturer".

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase