Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
jrcella
Jim Cella

Question Level base on subfloor for tub

I am putting a new tub in a 3 sided cove (1 side of tub skirted) before tiling. The subfloor beneath the area where the tub goes is an uneven 5' long slope from 0 to 1/4"-3/8". Can I just level it with thinset to install tub on top or is it too thin and brittle? Again talking about a base form 3/8 to 0. Don't care if it cracks but don't want it to "powder" over time. It's just for level surface to install tub on.

Current subfloor is plywood that used to have a cast iron tub on it. New tub about a 1/4 of the weight. Americast.

Mfg says no mortar mound to squish under tub.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited by jrcella; 08-06-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add info
jrcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I'm gonna move you over to the advice forum so's more people can chime in,Jim....

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
jrcella
Jim Cella

Thanks for the re-direction

I hadn't noticed I was in the wrong forum. Thanks for the help.

Jim
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
jrcella
Jim Cella

self leveling cement uneven!!!

I poured a properly mixed self leveling cement surface on a 3x5 subfloor to level it. Well It didn't level all the way. There is about a 1/4" difference from one end to other in 5ft length. (Am I in a burmuda triangle magnetic field? There was a lunar eclipse.) Why would this happen. I even lightly tapped evenly around the outside of the "bed" with a dead blow hammer to help it flow.

Why did this happen and what should I do?

With appreciation
Jim Cella
Unread 03-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Maack

Tub

As I read your post, you put down SLC but it still is uneven, that leads me to believe you perhaps didn't put enough SLC down to cover the entire uneven surface. Or you have a leak somewhere and it *ran out * on you?

When setting a tub, I prefer to install the ledgers, place the tub,shim it temporarily, yank the tub one time, foam the bed area and reset that tub down into the bed, check it for level front to back and end to end, it should be right back at level where you shimmed it,, tack it around the tiling flange with the lip of roofing nails just to hold it right where you set it..
let it set overnite..........

Hope that helps?
Maack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
jrcella
Jim Cella

Question SLC - Tub supported front and back

Thanks for the response!

How can I correct this without cental bed. I still have about 3/8" before I am even with the top of the plywood subfloor of the room. Can I risk another pour? How can I ensure It'll be level? Is it too thin to pour again? Will more dilute SLC work? How dilute is too dilute?

I can't support it with a central bed. The supporting floor's surface area beneath the tub only supports the tub directly in the front. A ledger board supports the back. It's for an alcove. Directions state a "ledger?" board supports the length of the back tub ledge 17.5" above the floor. The front of the tub is supported on the floor. No bed is to support underneath (stated on installation instuctions.)

Before and after the SLC the floor was/is not level. There is no leakage (I plugged and tested before pour). I have to support it on the perimeter. I thought the easiest way was to level the full 3'x5' subfloor...

I wanted to support the front with a material more durable than a long wide wood shim.

I'm trying to include as much info as possible. I appreciate the help.

Jim Cella
Attached Images

Last edited by jrcella; 03-03-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: More complete responding question
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Maack

Shimming

Ok,,
then, if they dont want a supporting bed under the floor of the tub and your ledgers are level, all you can do is shim,
To do this, all I do is cut the side pieces out of PVC electrical rough in boxes so I end up with a handful of 2" or so square flat plastic pieces, each one being about a 1/16" thick, stack them as needed every 12" or so under the front edge of that tub. Try to get the stacks positioned over the joists below if possible.

A lil panel adhesive globbed in there after you stack them just right keeps them from moving afterwards, keep the lil stacks flush with the tub face.
They are impervious to water, they will not crush ever, and they will last until the end of time.

It's a lil tedious to do but it will work perfectly.

Hope that helps??

Good luck!

Last edited by Maack; 03-03-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Maack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
jrcella
Jim Cella

Smile Thanks for the level headed help

Sincerely thanks for your help

Jim Cella
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Maack

Your welcome

Have a good day.