Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
glassgrl

Tiling under slide in stove dilemma

We're almost through tiling the downstairs with Travertine however we've run into a problem with the thickness of the Travertine going under the slide in stove. We tried screwing the legs of the stove all the way in and even with that it was still too thick. I've thought about cutting holes for the legs to drop into but then I was wondering if we would be able to get the stove out of them once we got it in. I'm hoping to replace the stove sooner or later with a glass top slide in stove.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

glassgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
dl

Maybe you could just take the feet out entirely and use shims if necessary to level?

- DL
dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
mrjetskey

i would take the feet out that will give you enough space from looking at it,i most certainly would not cut out the tiles. just shim it or use it as excuse to buy new cooktop
JMHO>Marvin
Unread 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Sorry, don't know your name,
You will remove the stove to tile under it, correct? Worst case is that the stove will sit a little higher..
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

My vote is to remove the legs entirely. Looking at the pic....you may even have to remove or cut off the brackets they ride in, as well. Still, I think it's a better alternative than anything else...
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
dl

... or just tile your counters too

- DL
dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
glassgrl

oops I forgot the number one rule at JBCTF - my name is Laura Beth.

After the first couple of replies I went back and removed the drawer again and took another look at it. You can't tell from the pictures but the stove feet actually sit on a rail. The rail runs the entire length of the stove and attached to the rail is a fan for when the oven gets too hot. The rail itself is actually lower than the tile is now so I would have to remove the rail and can't.

I guess I'm going to just have to tile around the feet as much as I can and save a few tiles to tile under the whole stove when it gets replaced.

I can't raise the stove anymore since the top rests on the counter top.

A slide in stove is nice but it costs twice as much as a free standing stove for some reason. I voted to cut out the back splash counter top and save $500 my DH won't go for it.

I have another stove to put in but that's a long story.....I bought a new stove from Ebay but Bargainland managed to smash it before they shipped it. I think somebody that worked there wanted it.

Ok thanks everybody. I've slept on tiling this thing for a week and figured I'd ask over here. Once I really looked at it I'm just going to have to tile around it.

Thanks again.
LB
glassgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase