Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
etudenc

Deck mud or self-leveling underlayment?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of tiling our small 16 sq. foot powder room (no tub or shower) and am hoping to get some guidance. For better or worse this is my first time working with tile -- hopefully I'll be using the correct terms but if not, hope I'm close!

I removed the mosaic tiles that were in place but the mud bed underneath was cracking and flaking so I decided to remove it as well. Now I have an exposed cement slab and some pretty big gaps to fill (in some spots, about two inches) in order to get the floor back up to its original level. I attached a pic below.

I've been watching Isaac Ostrom's very helpful videos (YouTube "Tile Coach") on creating a deck mud bed AND using self-leveling underlayment. My question is, which should I use for this space -- the deck mud bed or self-leveling underlayment? I'm a one-man band here so I'm concerned about being able to prep enough self-leveling underlayment to fill in that space without the risk of the last batch drying.

Another question -- in one of his videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw5d9sdz48), Isaac places Aquabar tarpaper and stucco netting on top of the concrete slab prior to filling in with the deck mud. I presume I should be doing the same for my application -- does that sound correct?

Thanks in advance -- any input would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by etudenc; 10-19-2020 at 08:53 PM. Reason: (correcting terms)
etudenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-19-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A bonded mudbed would be your least expensive, and maybe easiest choice to raise the level where you want it. With the volume you need, you might want to rent a cement mixer. Over a slab, I don't think you need any lath or reinforcement wire. A slurry of cement on the slab, throw the deck mud down, spread it out, screed it off to get things about the height you want, pack it down, trowel the surface to bring up some 'cream' and maybe cover with a plastic sheet for overnight (as we get into the heating season, the humidity levels drop, and you want the cement to cure, not dry out before it gets the chance).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
etudenc

Thanks much for your reply! RE slurry of cement, could I also use a concrete bonding adhesive in place of the cement slurry?
Unread 10-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

"Concrete bonding adhesive" is usually something similar to Elmer's white glue, Phil. I'd recommend a slurry of of thinset mortar or Portland cement. The Portland slurry tends to dry very quickly and the thinset mortar slurry remains wet longer and is generally easier to use. Entirely up to you, of course.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
etudenc

Thank you, Cx, that's helpful! I'll probably go with the thinset mortar as I'm sure the extra drying time will come in handy.

I appreciate everyone's input, thank you again!
Unread 10-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Phil,

A few tips for that bonded mortar bed (should you decide to go that route):
  • We suggest using a polymer-modified mortar for the scrub/bond coat.
  • Make sure you mix whatever mortar you choose for your scrub coat on the wet side of the water ratio.
  • Use a notched trowel to apply the scrub coat as if you were setting tile.
    i.e. flat trowel the substrate first, and then come back and notch the material with the serrated side of the trowel.
  • "Prime as you go" by troweling out the mortar as far as you can pack the bed in it at a time.
    It's important the mortar is tacky and doesn't "skin over" before you can get the deck mud packed into it.

I hope that helps!

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I seem to post this picture a lot.

With the base already set, you can notch a stick the tile thickness and use it to pull the mud, leaving just enough space for the tile to slide under.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase