Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
Superjustin13

Question about quality of tiles

Hello everyone. With exhausting research. I have decided to ask the professional full time tile setters a question. I am looking at getting my floor done. I'm looking at spending up to 9$ a tile. I'm looking at purchasing wood like tile.

I have found several brands, but unfortunately get a ton of mixed reviews. Is there a certain manufacturer i should stray away from? I have found Daltile, Esmer, Marazzi, MSI. I also do have a Bedrosian near us as well. Is there a specific brand someone works with and recommends? I am not looking at purchasing from Homedepot or lowes. I also don't want to regret my decision later that I went with some crummy tile brand.

Tiles would be installed in formal dining room, formal sitting room. and main living room. I never go in either the formal dining room, or sitting home. Main living room has high traffic. Can go high per sq/ft cost as well, I've seen homedepot Daltile get a ton of wear marks where the couch sits. Definitely not a budget project. I just want a beautiful long lasting floor. Not something the finish will degrade over time on it. I have travertine in the rest of my home.

Thank you!

Last edited by Superjustin13; 10-18-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Superjustin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Justin.

What you want to look for in a ceramic tile is an indication from the manufacturer that the tile meets the standards of ANSI A137.1. If the packaging or/and written claims by the manufacturer say the tile meets that standard, there is a great deal you can tell about the tile.

If there is no such indication, the only thing you can be sure of is that the tile in the box is what you've purchased.

Not to say there is not tile out there that is not tested to meet that standard that is good, just saying you won't know.

Among the properties tested under that standard are Visual Abrasion Resistance for glazed tiles and Deep Abrasion for un-glazed tiles. That would appear to be one of the things you're most concerned about.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Truthfully, most of the tile you see today are porcelain...and that's great, as far as it goes. ALL tiles are ceramic and they work just fine. Porcelain tiles are fired at a higher temperature and are superior ....but "ceramic" works just fine.

Find a tile you like and don't look back.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz
ALL tiles are ceramic and they work just fine.
What about VCTs and LVTs and stone tiles and encaustic tiles, Saltillo tiles, glass tiles, etc, Laz? "All tiles are ceramic," would be a bit off the mark, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase