Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
zooluk
Scott

Scott's Master Bath- Help!

First- Thanks to all the experts on this forum for helping us do it yourselfers! I have really benefited from this site.

This is my first project like this and working with Kerdi products and I have progressed good but I am a bit stuck in a few areas.

#1 - When setting my Kerdi drain into the foam Schulter tray, I had an issue where the drain flange "sprung back up" about 1/8" during the install(due to a small piece of wood I put under the PVC drain to provide some backing to support pressing the PVC joints together) . I knew the drain flange had to be well supported so what I did was place a bowling ball on the drain to fully seat the drain flange to the foam base and then I worked the membrane into the flange and made everything well bonded and smooth. I left the bowling ball on the flange for one week and everything seems solid and smooth (flange stayed flush) but I worry that a small amount of pressure pushing up on the plumbing will eventually seperate the flange from the foam tray and cause issues.
Question- Is the membrane connection to the drain, and the tile I will put on the floor enough to keep this flange in place OR do I need to cut a hole in the downstairs ceiling to relieve the little bit of pressure on the drain pushing up?

Here is picture of what I did:
Name:  DSC02870b.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  23.5 KB

#2- The Kerdi membrane bubbled on me when wrapping over the foam curb despite my best attempt to use the tips suggested here. I think this just takes some practice! In short, the inside and outside TOP 50% of the curb has some membrane that is not attached well to the foam. The inside and outside bottom half is very well bonded as is the top of the curb. I suspect that is is not good enough to hold the inside and outside tile in place to the curb.
Question- Should I slice open the Kerdi membrane and spread non modified thinset under the bubbled areas and re-attach and then put Kerdi band over the top of this with 2" overlap OR can I slice open and spread Kerdi Fix ("caulk"), that I have alot of, under the bubbles and cover with Kerdi band/thinset. Any tips to fix this problem is most appreciated.

Here is a picture showing where the "bubbling" problem is:
Name:  DSC02869b.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  26.1 KB

#3- I am putting a Nu Heat radiant system in... The layers I have so far is as follows:

1- 3/4 Plywood flooring (original)
2- Thinset
3- 1/4" Denshield (Lowes) screwed down and seams taped with fiberglass tape
4- Thinset
5- Nu Heat radiant heating system embedded in thin set and thin set trowled at the edges to smooth the transition.

Question: I am worried about laying tile on top of this uneven surface AND my floor has some flatness issues so:

Is it ok to pour self leveling compound around the edges AND over the top of the radiant heat pad to smooth out the major problems?

I have purchased Henry 565 Floor leveling compound that gets mixed with water and I have Henry 564 primer? Is the Henry brand of primer and mix from Lowes suitable AND do I prime the Nu Heat radiant heating pad material as well? I worry about the primer damaging the heat pad.

After using the SLC, do I need to Ditra over the top of everything before tiling or is it ok to tile right over the top of the radiant head pad partially covered with SLC? If Ditra is needed or suggested, I worry that putting Ditra over the heating pad will give me grief and I will have more bonding issues due to this being my first attempt!

Here is a picture of the floor where I am at so far.....:
Name:  DSC02872b.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  43.3 KB

#4- I have created a shower niche and tiled it in. I was struggling to figure out how to make shelves and shelf supports so I ended up just tiling in the whole area. Now I still want to add a shelf or two so I wanted to get some ideas of adding shelves AFTER the tile is in. I was thinking of getting some shelf support pins and drilling into the porcelin tile (sealing with silicone) and setting tempered glass shelves on top (perhaps with recesses in the bottom of the glass to preven sliding off.

Question: Any other suggestions or materials or brackets I could use that would look nice?

Here is a picture of the niche so far (it is over 25" tall):
Name:  DSC02874b.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  64.5 KB

#5- I have 1/8" grout joints in most areas with some smaller (due to my poor cutting of tile).
Question: Should I use sanded grout or non-sanded grout. I worry about the sanded scratching my "soft" marble accent pieces as I spread it around.

#6- How to layout the floor tile relative to the square Kerdi drain.

The drain is 4" square and if I center the drain on one of the 12" pads of smaller tiles I will end up with a 1/4" grout joint all around the drain (because opening left by removing 4 center tiles = 4 1/2". Is a 1/4 grout joint around the drain and 1/8" grout joints on the rest of the floor ok? Will drain flange get proper support from 1/4 of grout or is it better to put thinset under the drain flange and just leave a little room for grout BETWEEN drain flange and tile?
Question: The attached picture shows my situation... what is suggested?
Name:  DSC02871b.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  31.6 KB

Thanks in advance for any tips
Scott from Buffalo, NY
Unread 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
zooluk
Scott

Close up of Kerdi drain with tile dry layed out

Too add to my email above... This picture shows the 1/4" grout joint I will get around the drain if I use the layout shown. If I move the tile in closer to the drain to reduce the grout joint around the drain, the other joints will not line up.

Is it ok to have this 1/4" grout joint near the drain or should I do something different.

Name:  DSC02875b.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  33.0 KB

thanks!
Scott
Unread 01-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Scott~The drain will be fine. Use sanded grout to fill around it.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
zooluk
Scott

Thanks Laz for the quick answer... I am glad that a 1/4 inch grout joint will be ok around the drain.

Can I bother you to take a look at my other questions at the beginning of the thread? I am a little stuck in a few other areas as well....

Most appreciated!
Scott
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

#4- I have created a shower niche and tiled it in. I was struggling to figure out how to make shelves and shelf supports so I ended up just tiling in the whole area. Now I still want to add a shelf or two so I wanted to get some ideas of adding shelves AFTER the tile is in. I was thinking of getting some shelf support pins and drilling into the porcelin tile (sealing with silicone) and setting tempered glass shelves on top (perhaps with recesses in the bottom of the glass to preven sliding off.

I see no reason why this wouldn't work. Souynds like a "plan!"

#5- I have 1/8" grout joints in most areas with some smaller (due to my poor cutting of tile).
Question: Should I use sanded grout or non-sanded grout. I worry about the sanded scratching my "soft" marble accent pieces as I spread it around.

You can go either way. The unsanded suffers from getting hairline cracks in it when used in too large an area. Personally, I'd probably use the sanded grout and not be too aggressive about putting it in. Jest like a woman....be gentle.....

As to your other questions, I'm sure some of the other experts will chime in on this....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
zooluk
Scott

Thanks again Laz!
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
zooluk
Scott

What size trowel do I use for 12" X 12" sheet of 2" X 2" floor tiles

What size trowel should I use to apply the thinset over the Kerdi floor for the 2" X 2" floor mosaic tiles on a 12" X 12" sheet??

1/4 X 3/16 V notch used for membrane?
1/4 X 1/4" Square?
Other?

Thank you
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Edthedawg
Wannabe Engineer Old-house-nik DIY'er :)

you're not gonna want bigger than 1/4x1/4. the v-notch is probably fine. You're risking quite a bit of thinset mushing up between quite a lot of grout lines if you go much bigger.

GO SOX!

Pleased to have helped design and build many of the residential projects featured here: http://www.tandtdev.com/portfolio.html
Edthedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
zooluk
Scott

Thanks Ed... I thought 1/4" X 1/4" seemed big but also though a 1/4 X 3/16" V notch seemed small... I will try the V notch and be generous..

I am still debating how to do around the drain... I have a 1/4" opening around the drain that Laz said I could fill with sanded grout or I just noticed in John Bridges Kerdi book that he has a picture where is puts very small pieces of tile in to fill the gap... This looks really nice and I suspect this is better than a 1/4" group joint but I don't know how difficult this will be to do... As a novice, Am I better off trying to fill the 1/4" gap around the drain with some more tile like the attached picture from JB's book or just grout it in?

Thanks!

Name:  kerdi_figure130_med.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  28.8 KB
Unread 01-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Edthedawg

Whyn't try your wet-saw-fu for awhile and see if you can make such cuts. give yourself a handful of pieces to tinker with.

You'll find out soon enough if you feel up to that task.

me, I'd prolly grout it and be done. But I ain't lookin' at your shower every day.

GO SOX!

Pleased to have helped design and build many of the residential projects featured here: http://www.tandtdev.com/portfolio.html
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
zooluk
Scott

Thanks Ed... That is a good idea. I can cut and dry fit around the Kerdi drain to see how it looks. Now I know I can do either way without worries.

New Questions- I am putting a Marble threshold on the top of my Kerdi Curb.

- Do I put the threshold on the curb first and then tile the inner and outer walls of the curb or do I tile the curb faces first and then put the threshold on?

- Does the marble threshold fit between the wall tiles on each end and get caulked OR do the wall "lock in" the threshold by laying the threshold and then putting the tile around the threshold with grout filling the gaps? I suspect the threshold goes between tile already on the walls in case you need to remove/repair it later..

Thanks a lot for your time!
Unread 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Edthedawg

You'd want the curb face set first, I think, in this case. It oughta work fine either way tho. Include slope toward the drain. Hopefully you build it all right and there's no reason to be removin' it, eh?

GO SOX!

Unread 01-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I agree, Ed. Put the threshold in first and use a torpedo level to get a very slight slope in towards the shower......

Unread 01-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
zooluk
Scott

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys..... So marble threshold top of the curb goes in first and then inside "walls" (below the curb) go in second....

And just to clarify- The threshold top ENDS should butt up to the shower wall tiles vs. the threshold butting up to the Kerdi membrane and the ends being hidden with wall tile right?

Thanks
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Either way, Scott. Me, I kinda like to butt it up to the Kerdi and cut the wall tile around it, but like I say...your choice.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase