Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Anitaf99

Old Subway Tile has pulled away from wall

I have a section 18 inches by 18 inches where the tile has become lose from the lath. I'm thinking I can get one tile off the wall. Wondering if shooting spray urathane foam behind and bracing might work. Has anyone ever had this happen. It is in a mud bed. Afraid the whole wall will start coming down if I dismantle. THIS IS A DRY AREA OF THE BATH.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
clifton clowers

I've had some ~90 year old tile pop off of old mud walls. I used a dab of construction adhesive to fix it.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
Anitaf99

Construction adhesive makes more sense. Does anyone know if it comes in a spray can with a straw like the spray foam does.. maybe the foam won't stick to the tile. The last thing I want to do is remove the tile piece by piece. There are no grout lines. It could be a real problem putting it back. Its loose right in the middle of the wall close to the door jam. The chair rail piece is solid so is the cove tile.. So if I can wiggle one out by the door trim I should be able to spray the glue behind the most of the loose tile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Is the tile area only 18x18 or is this loose area within a larger wall of tiles? Sometimes the loose area seems smaller than it really is. I would take the loose tiles down, clean them up and re-stick them.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
Anitaf99

Yes the loose area is in a larger bed of tiles. I was looking at it again last night most of the grout has failed and fallen out. I'm going to remove the individual tiles and do as you all suggest. That way I'm guaranteed a permanent fix. Thank you.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, that's best. So many times there are tiles barely bonded outside the loose area. You'll probably find more tiles popping off the wall with very little effort.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #7
Anitaf99

This 108 year old seashore home is not a lazy person's home. My list is long and I try to do the small repairs myself as the large repairs are many! The tile is worth saving it's in 2 of the baths and the kitchen and pantry. This is the only section that is loose. A fall project no pun intended! Should I use construction adhesive or something that would allow the tile to be broken away if I make a mistake or a tile isn't quite perfect. There is no room for error the grout line is literally non existant. Feel like that might be why it failed. 108 years ago the tile setter probably mis judged as he neared the end of his wall as squeezed them too close. Maybe a mastic or thin set would be better? Liquid Nails scares me! It's too strong of a bond not enough working time before set up either. Thanks Anita

Last edited by cx; 08-20-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Anitaf99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase