Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
bill12321

Shower Crown Design Help

I've got 16 1/4" from the top of the final full course to the ceiling. Ceiling is 9'. Bottom of crown is 3 1/2 inches, leaving 3/4" between bottom of crown and top of tile. How would you finish this?

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

What would I do? I would have planned not to have it happen, but that ship has sailed in your case.

Easiest at this point may be to use a built-up crown. Often base flipped upside down and applied first, then crown molding on top. In you case something that drops down an inch or so below crown, allowing for trimming that top course of tile nice and close.

It has the advantage of giving a continuous nailing surface for the crown as well. It can also be done on both wall and ceiling, but gets kinda busy for my taste.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
speed51133

is the crown wood or tile? any pics of what it looks like?

get a bigger crown?

https://www.wholetiles.com/categorie...tone-Tile.aspx

if tile/stone crown, you can add a pencil piece that is 3/4in so so above/below it.

OR

Simply cut a piece of tile/stone baseboard instead of crown
https://www.wholetiles.com/products/...ge-Marble.aspx

Last edited by speed51133; 08-13-2019 at 03:13 PM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
bill12321

I see lots of threads titled "crown molding" as follow ups to my thread, and I see lots of pictures of wall/ceiling joints with no tile or crown on it from folks who've posted their project looking for a solution, but I don't think I have yet seen a picture of crown molding run off a sheetrock wall onto a tiled wall, even though there are tons of recommendations on how to do it.

When I search "crown molding", I get 50,000 returns, with all kinds of thread titles, none of which say "crown molding".

What am I doing wrong, other than planning?

Where are all the pictures?

How do I find the pictures I'm looking for without looking at 50,000 others first?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Google images "built up crown".

My thought would be to have a horizontal surface that you butt tile into, an upside down ledge of sorts.

I could draw if you can't find an image.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Winter River
DIYer with more projects than time

I did a simple built up crown in my bathroom. First I rounded over a 3/4" board and cut it to go over the tile. Then I added the crown molding.
Bathroom remodel

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  14.1 KB
Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Thanks Elise, exactly what I had in mind.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Nice job of it, too, Elise.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I also did a built up crown. Simply some 9/16th flat stock installed flat to the wall around the entire perimeter, followed by some beaded stock - it's bottom edge even with the bottom edge of the flat stock, then installed the crown about 1" or so up from the bottom edge of the beaded stock. With mortar the wall tile comes out just a bit past the thickness of the flat stock, leaving most of the bottom edge of the beaded stock exposed. I may add a small quarter round to the bottom around the lengths where there is no tile.

Same set up I used in the bedroom, minus the 9/16th flat stock.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
bill12321

Dan,

This looks like a solution that will work for my project. I was concerned that building the crown up/down with two courses of base trim over the tile in the shower would make the build up in the rest of the room look a little too beefy.

I might be able to drop the crown down by running a piece of base flat to the ceiling.

I can't zoom in enough to see clearly but from your photo it does not look out of proportion.

Is that a fair assumption?

I assume it is since you like it.

If I install base bottom side down, then install base top side down, and crown over that, would that be a close approximation to your installation?

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by bill12321; 08-15-2019 at 08:16 AM.
bill12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
bill12321

Elise,

Thanks. I've actually seen your photo on pinterest.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
ss3964spd

A crude drawing for your reference, Bill.

If you used a crown with a thick 5/8"-3/4" reveal at the bottom you could maybe get away with not building it out, and of course you'd loose the reveal where the tile abuts it, but retain it everywhere else. Hard to tell if that would be to ones liking without mocking it up.

In my case the beaded stock is an extension of the crown, and I wanted to retain the reveal at the tile because I feel that the eye will be drawn to that area more than the rest, hence the 9/16" flat stock.

IMO, Bill, it really doesn't look too beefy/out of proportion, but probably depends somewhat on the angle you're looking at it from. I may see how a quarter round looks, but adding that will make the crown appear deeper in the main room than it is in the shower.

Happy to take some additional photos of it if they'll help, Bill, just lemme know.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
bill12321

Thanks for taking the time to draw that out Dan.

If I add a horizontal backer to the top I think I'll be able to get the bottom of the crown/bead pieces to fall where I need them.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
bill12321

I've decided to cut the last two courses of tiles 7 inches each to make up for the last inch. It will burn up some material but at the end of the day I think it will make a cleaner, easier install.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #15
ss3964spd

Pics to prove it, Bill.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase