Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #16
JoeDubya

Kerdi Curb over Membrane

Hi All,

Sorry for the mis-title. I'm referring to a Curb made of Kerdi Board...and not specifically the Kerdi Curb kit.

A bit of background can be found in https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=127906

I've got a shower with Kerdi walls and a PVC Pan Liner Base. Thanks to all for telling me that this IS possible.

My pan liner is currently over the curb as recommended in all of the install videos.
My mortar and mesh skills are horrible to say the least, so I was thinking of buying one of those Goof Proof Curb kits where you cut the pre-fab plastic to size and run it. Unfortunately, I will require 3 kits for my curb span, and they are incredibly expensive to get in Canada and even more difficult to locate.

I am curious if I can use my leftover Kerdi Board and cover all 3 sides of the curb? It seems much more accessible, and certainly way cheaper after you include exchange rates ($0), and import duties ($0) compared to the goof proof kit.

My expectation is that I would install the kerdi over top of my 2x4 liner covered curb now, and secure using the screws that I used on the kerdi walls. I would then pour my sloped mortar bed down in the shower pan. My assumption is that this makes it a a 'shorter' kerdi wall really. All edges would then be finished using kerdi band, kerdi corners and thinset to seal any penetrations thru the board to the liner.

I looked at a Kerdi Curb kit, but it seems that it has cross members inside of it for support, so I would have to cut those out and still don't know if it would fit over my 2x4 curb and membrane in place today.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #17
cx
Da Home Builder

Housekeeping first, Joe.

Please keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one, or you can just stay with what you've got.

It's helpful if you'll add a geographic location to your User Profile so it remains permanently in view to aid in answering some types of questions. Otherwise the information will be lost before we leave this page. I'll fix your signature so folks don't think you're shouting.

You cannot make a curb over your traditional pan liner using anything that requires mechanical fasteners. That includes your Kerdi Board. By far the easiest and best method is to bend expanded metal lath over your liner over your curb structure and finish it using fat mud. The mud is dirt cheap and DIY labor is free, so a little practice doesn't cost much in either time or money. I do not recommend the plastic pieces from Kirb-Perfect, but you can use something like that if you want. Far better and less expensive is the lath and mud.

The only foam curb pieces made specifically for what you want to do come from the Noble Company. Also not inexpensive, but made for your application so long as your curb is a single straight piece and you've done a good job of forming your membrane over it. You might check that out.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
JoeDubya

Thanks CX for the housekeeping note. Ill work on those items.
Is wire and concrete really that easy to work with? It seems like im going to buy a huge sheet/roll dor this tiny little application.
In my way to the big box store to look.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #19
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The lath is about 27x96 and is about 10 bucks a sheet at Home Depot. You might look at the "shower construction info" thread in the liberry. It has info and pics on mudding curbs.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #20
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
You cannot make a curb over your traditional pan liner using anything that requires mechanical fasteners.
That's almost 100% correct.

You will have to secure the lath with nails to only the outside of the curb. Nowhere else.

It's a good idea to over-bend the lath a little so it hugs the inside of the curb.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #21
cx
Da Home Builder

I'll claim 100 percent, Kevin. I maintain the metal lath, properly bent, does not require mechanical fasteners in that application. Acceptable to add a few staples on the outside if you wanna, of course.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #22
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx View Post
I'll claim 100 percent, Kevin. I maintain the metal lath, properly bent, does not require mechanical fasteners in that application. Acceptable to add a few staples on the outside if you wanna, of course.
Yeah, but you're a renegade.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #23
cx
Da Home Builder

I'll claim 100 percent on that, too!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase