Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Gidget

Tile Redi, Kerdi, & Green Marble

Hello,

First time user on the forum & first bathroom diy reno. - love going thru the advice and history. I've been searching for some advice and haven't found it in the history so thought I'd post and see what you think of my dilemma.

Installed a tile redi shower pan(3 attempts later it worked - but had to drill holes in it due to some deflection - have since fixed this - would never use again) but due to the solution on the deflection it seemed the only online advice was to use kerdifix to adhere a kerdi membrane. After purchasing my floor tile(polished green marble hexagons) and getting myself excited to install it, I reread the schluter instructions and green marble isn't recommended for install on Kerdi because it usually uses epoxy mortar which is a no-no for kerdi.

I've called Schluter - unfortunately I didn't get the most knowledgeable rep. and asked for another rep opinion(waiting on call back).

the other portion of the floor is ditra with heating cables - and for that the rep did recommend skim coating it prior to using epoxy mortar.

I've tested the green marble in water for a few days for curling and it was a negative.

What do you think about putting something like redguard over the kerdi - then using the epoxy on redguard? Or maybe just forget the epoxy and use the unmodified thinset with the green marble?
thanks in advance,
Emily - ATL GA
Old 05-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
rmckee84

I've always been taught that green marble is a no go in all wet applications but things may have changed. Add to that the fact that marble is a poor choice is a wet area and it sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't reccomend putting redgard over the kerdi.

Can you post some pics of what you have done so far to give us some perspective.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

On a small mosaic, you might not notice it changing shape without a micrometer and a precision flat surface...but, it doesn't take much to overstress a bond. Keep in mind that the minimum shear strength of a bond to Kerdi fleece is 50psi...not a huge amount, but sufficient if things are not able to move. It generally tests out higher, but it will be at least that 50psi if you do things as directed. You really want a stable tile for use in a wet area, and a green marble isn't a great choice unless it's never going to be used!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Gidget

Well, the other rep called me back and he said that I wouldn't get the schluter warranty without removing the tile redi pan and reinstalling schluter system including drain. He said that if I did want to continue with what I had he'd recommend I do a drain/flood test for 24 hrs. He also said to install the green marble with epoxy directly to the kerdi. He also said to call the stone supplier and see if it was considered moisture sensitive- not sure why I didn't think of that.

So I did call them, they said it wasn't moisture sensitive and when asked what to install it on, they said epoxy mortar.

I hadn't thought of the psi on kerdi tho. I'll have to see how flat it really is.

So my first step is the flood test. I probably won't get to it until the weekend! I'll let you know how it goes!

Last edited by Gidget; 05-30-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Mistake
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, that 50psi industry specification threshold is true for all of the membranes that utilize fleece, not just Kerdi (Kerdi typically tests at 75psi or there about). Normally, that's more than enough, but not if the tile changes shape because of moisture.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
Gidget

Follow Up

Thought I'd follow up even though it was a few years later. We ended up using kerdi over the tile redi pan (affixed it with the kerdi caulk/glue) we did use the green marble - which we later learned isn't actually marble but a different type of stone. for the green stone floor we used an epoxy mortar and used epoxy grout. It's been almost 2 years and the floor is holding up amazingly, we've had zero issues. Also with the white marble walls, we sealed them with dry treat's stainproof before applying the epoxy grout(it was a lot of work) and waited about a week or two, then applied another coat of sealer, and then waited another week before we used it. We've resealed about every 6-9 months with the same product and haven't had any discoloration or issues.

I attached a picture of the bathroom taken right after the sealing/grout - we still hadn't installed the window sill.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Thanks for following up and the pic. Looks great! Glad it’s serving you well.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase