Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 11-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
JonBo

Thanks John!

Huge help... I'll see if I can get some pictures posted as things progress. ...assuming that things will indeed progress...

Cheers

J
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #32
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
I have a customer discussing a roman soaking tub.

Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #33
HS345
Tile Contractor

Those of you who have built Roman tubs, do you normally frame them with wood and blocking, or do you use formed concrete, block, brick? I saw the one earlier in this thread that used brick.

My wife wants a tiled tub surround, and I am kicking around ideas about how to construct it. It will be standard tub length, with walls on each end. I was thinking about building the tub wall out of wood like a standard knee wall with double plate at the top. Obviously, the other three walls are wood. Do you need a plywood layer, or is blocking and cement board sufficiently strong to hold the water? Not sure if I will be using Kerdi, or liquid waterproofing. I also want the end slanted, so it will be comfortable to lay down in. Ideas? TIA.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #34
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Greg,

I think cement board would give and flex under the weight of the water. I would use a very strong frame (screws, not nails) and 3/4 ply. Well, I would use lath and mortar.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #35
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Hi Greg,

I think cement board would give and flex under the weight of the water. I would use a very strong frame (screws, not nails) and 3/4 ply. Well, I would use lath and mortar.
Hi John,

That's funny, I just created a separate thread hoping to get more response.

I was considering solid blocking in lieu of plywood, since the space in this bathroom is severely limited. I know, 3/4" isn't much, but in a bathroom this small every little bit helps.

If y'all want to move this and John's response over to the new thread, that's fine with me. Or if you want to leave it here and delete the other thread, that's okay too.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #36
cx
Da Home Builder

Greg, if you want an individual project thread for your tub, start one in the Advice forum.

If you'll type roman into the Advanced Search and ask for Titles you'll also find a good deal of information on such construction. Or realizations that construction was no longer all that desirable.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #37
HS345
Tile Contractor

That's fine CX, as I said, we can leave it here if that's okay with you.

I know you're a big fan of the search function, but sometimes wading through pages and pages of info is just a bit too much for me. I did search, but when there weren't really many threads dedicated to the subject, I thought we could hash it out here.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #38
cx
Da Home Builder

Again, if you wanna "hash out" an individual project, a thread in the Advice forum is appropriate.

If you're wanting to hash out issues that have already been hashed out a number of times, searching through the other applicable threads is the most appropriate place to start.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #39
HS345
Tile Contractor

Did that CX, this thread was the first result. Other than that, the information seems scant. Is TYW strictly a search for information site now? Are we no longer allowed to discuss tile installations among pros? Am I required to wade through the "works in progress", and "Spectralock" threads to glean some info on tiled tub construction? Maybe I'll find some info in the "weather" thread, because that was high on the list in your recommended search too. Also, if roman tub construction is no longer desirable, why would you want me to discuss it in the shallow end?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
cx
Da Home Builder

Greg, nothing has changed at all. The Advice forum, or Shallow End, has always been the place to discuss individual projects, regardless who the project might belong to. If you can't get professional answers to your project question there, we've got a serious problem with our entire operation.

If you have more general questions, especially of a technical nature, the Hangout is the place for those. But many of our pro members seem to think that because they're pros every question they might have about one of their own projects must be asked in the Professionals' Hangout and that's not the case.

As for searching, yes, I do frequently recommend that, especially for questions that are frequently asked and for which I know there is substantial discussion already available. To my thinking, searching for available information before asking your question is just good form and speeds up the forum operation.

Roman tub construction might still be quite desirable for some folks and you're certainly welcome to start a thread about your particular project or plan. I was just pointing out that it's common for visitors to want to build such a tub to decide not to do so after just a bit of discussion about what might be involved. Your case might be different.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #41
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

I've been involved in a grand total of two soaking tubs in my career. Being in Florida, both were below grade about 20in. (and of course no waterproofing of any kind). Both homeowners said,

1. They rarely used it.

2. The water would get cold to quickly.

3. A huge waste of water to fill the thing.

Both were filled in (that's another story) and a regular shower was put in place.

Just my two cents,,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,, if Momma wants it's always wise to keep her happy.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
cx
Da Home Builder

I have the same experience with swimming pools, Richard, including the filling in.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #43
eurob
Not...Sure

Greg, I would also consider a strong frame , plywood , permabase or durock on it . On top of it you can go with PRP 315 ( Mapelastic ) or similar . Kerapoxy can top it .

On a side idea , I see the floor of the tub as linear tiles 2'' x the width of the tub and maybe some thin panels 5 or 7 mm ( super large format tiles ) for the rest so you can get the monoblock look . Some rondec trims on top and why not the dilex for the bottom of the tub .

The interesting thing about the super large tiles is that you can custom cut them to create whatever look you may desire .

I guess you don't want me to explain you the basics.....

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #44
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I've been involved in a grand total of two soaking tubs in my career. Being in Florida, both were below grade about 20in. (and of course no waterproofing of any kind). Both homeowners said,

1. They rarely used it.

2. The water would get cold to quickly.

3. A huge waste of water to fill the thing.

Both were filled in (that's another story) and a regular shower was put in place.

Just my two cents,,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,, if Momma wants it's always wise to keep her happy.
Maybe Roman/soaking tub is the wrong term for what I'm planning. This will be the size of a standard 32" x 60" tub, maybe a tad deeper for soaking up to the neck. It's on a slab, but when I redid the drains, I insulated under the tub area (and everywhere I tore out) with 1 1/2" extruded polystyrene board. I plan on insulating the walls to the extent that I can while still making them strong enough. It will be used as a tub surround shower 99% of the time. But I definitely plan on soaking in a hot tub on occasion, er, I mean the wife does.

Here's the thing, I am committed to this project, because there was no way to leave the toilet, and 3 x 3 fiberglass shower in place without a major redo on the drainage system (this is our only bathroom). So, when I roughed in the drain for the tiled tub, I had to place it offset. There will be no way to plumb in a standard tub. I solved the problem of an overflow by placing a floor drain in the bathroom. I know, slightly hillbillyish, but what the hey. Main floor is going to be some artsy fartsy mosaic affair with fish and whatever the old lady dreams up, so it won't be a problem creating a slight pitch to the floor drain.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #45
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Not sure it's been said or not here, but after the structure is up and hell for stout, I'd mud it and i don't even know how to mud stuff like that - but I'd find out. Without mud, don't see how you could contour anything to make it even semi comfortable.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase