Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
tileam2000

advice on tiling fireplace area over painted drywall (pics included)

Hello. It's been awhile since I posted anything. Haven't done much tile these days. I'm installing some ledgestone tile on a fireplace (below mantle around fireplace opening and above mantle to the ceiling). The pieces of stone/tile are relatively heavy (if I was throwing up subway tile I wouldn't worry about going over the painted drywall). If I tile over the finished drywall is it possible the weight of the tile could peel the paint from the drywall and cause the installation to fail? If I sand the painted surface a little and score the daylights out of the painted surface will that allow the thinset to bond to the body of the drywall and make it stronger or will that increase the chances of a failure? What would you recommend? Tearing drywall out and replacing with cbu?
Also they are hanging a tv over mantle and installed the tv mount next to the electrical outlets...not sure if I should build that out or just go around it since tv will be covering that area anyway.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2019, 03:58 AM   #2
Gozo

I did similar with ledgerstone over a painted wall. Had the same worries. Attached 1/4 Hardiebacker to the wall and tiled over that. Easy, no worries, and is holding up fine. Id tile over the the whole wall surface and extend the outlets and bracket to mount over the tile/stones.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
tileam2000

I thought about 1/4" Hardi over it but they want a raw edge on the side and then there would be a 1/4" gap. So it's either tear out drywall and replace or find best method to tile on the existing painted drywall.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
speed51133

sand off the paint, tile to the drywall
Old 08-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Since you may not know how securely the DW is attached I'd take a bit of time to run some more screws into it.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase