Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #16
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

One other tidbit about ditra heat is they suggest a rectangle area with no more than one side being 1.5 times the other. But they don't specify if this is because of the expansion of the tile or exactly why they want you to do this. I stayed in this rectangle pretty much but I did do a little bit of an L around the corner. Also you can install to ditra heat wires per thermostat. Just to give you an example of 26 square foot or I think about 86 linear feet heating coil only is about 240 Watts. They have recently said that you can go on the 2-3 grid pattern whereas it used to be you could only put the wire every 3 cells which is an inch. Customer service or tech support has a and a calculator that converts the square foot coverage using the 2 by 3 format. . You want to make sure you put the thermocouple probes in areas where you will not have a throw rug and get a false reading
Old 08-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #17
pancho_baño

Great info Teddy, thanks for the tips!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #18
pancho_baño

Plumber is going to be here tomorrow to redo the shower valve. I need to know how high the valve needs to be on the wall according to standard building/building practices. I've looked throughout various code documents (california and san diego) and can't find an exact number. Instructions on the valve state 48 inches but that seems a bit high to me. Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Have you asked your plumber? I'd think he should know this.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #20
pancho_baño

Davy, I believe you have captured my frustration with the plumber I found. His original answer was "whatever you want." I thought he should know as well...first or second red flag at that point. He is coming back to re-position the valve according to the instructions he originally ignored...ugh
Old 08-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #21
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I think the plumber is probably more right than wrong when he said "whatever you want" - as long as valve isn't at knee, or nose height. There may be a code in your local that specifies a min/max but I've never seen one in mine.

In fact, Kohler recommends that the controller for their electronic shower valve be placed at 54". Granted, it's a different animal but it does look like it'll be comfortable to use at that height.

I'd think 48" would be a bit low, unless you're trying to center it between the floor and an 8' ceiling.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #22
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

there is actually a area on the control wall specified in the ADA rules. to me it seemed to be to small of an area for having a temp control and a diverted and 2 volume control valves. i think a temp valve should be located where your hand falls when you have your upper arm hanging down and elbow at 90 degrees and lower arm level. its about 44-48" for me 6' tall guy but I have long legs. . I like to be able to find the temp control valve with my eyes closed.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #23
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The center of my valve is at 40 1/2 off the tile floor. When I installed it years ago, I wasn't following any codes. I put it where I wanted it, knowing my kids would be in there as much as me. Now it's my grand kids using my shower.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #24
cx
Da Home Builder

Pancho, I, too, put the shower controls at whatever height the customer wants after we first decide on which wall they will be installed, preferably not under the shower head. In fact, it was common to put the customer in the rough shower and say, "Close your eyes and touch the wall where the controls are." And that's where I'd install the controls.

Much the same as electrical outlets and switches for me. Switches are centered at 48 inches AFF unless otherwise requested and outlets at one particular hammer handle length above the rough floor. If I ever lose that hammer I'll need to go to a previous house and measure my "standard" height.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase