Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 08-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
TracyJ

Any Comparisons between DL7000, DL5000, Revolution XT and Apollo Ring Saw?

Hello Everyone,

I have frequented the John Bridge forums for many years, and have learned much from these forums simply by searching for the question I had at the time and learning from the many experts here. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this great resource.

I decided to join and post a thread with this question as all the information I can find is years old and I am hoping to receive some up-to-date information.
I make medallions on the side which sometimes require curved cuts with a tight radius. I make medallions from ceramic and porcelain tile, as well as natural stone tiles, and even glass.

Approximately 6 or 7 years ago I purchased a Gryphon Ring saw to make curved cuts. It worked but was quite slow. About 5 years ago I upgraded to a Gemini Apollo Ring Saw. The Apollo saw was both faster and allowed smoother cutting. I am now on my second Apollo as the motor on my first one burned out. However, I find that the back of the 6" blade frequently limits the size of the design I can cut. When the motor burned out on my last Apollo, I seriously considered upgrading to the Revolution XT which has the 10" blade. But, since I had a large amount of costly unused maintenance parts and blades for my Apollo still, I decided to get another Apollo.

So, I am just about ready to add a new tool to my growing collection. In addition to the need for curved cuts, I need to be able to cut larger designs than the 6" blade of the Apollo allows. I could go up to 10" with the Revolution XT. However, I've seen some comments here on John Bridge that make me think the Diamond DL7000 with the large 13" throat might be worth the extra money. The saw will be stationary in my workshop, so portability is not a concern. I might even consider the DL5000, but don't know how it's cutting speed will compare to the others.
So, does anyone have recent experience with these 3 saws (Revolution XT, DL7000, DL5000) and would like to comment? Or maybe there is another saw to consider that I have somehow missed.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Probably more than you want to spend, but look at this water jet https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...aterjet-cutter

You will get high precision, clean cuts, and you may be able to advertise locally to do work for people, if that's in your plan. Make clean cuts on tile for say pipes, electrical boxes, etc.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
TracyJ

I looked at the Wazer waterjet several times before eliminating it as a possibility. At this point, I want to use my hands to cut with a saw - not using a keyboard and mouse to make the design in a CAD program. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
TracyJ

Apollo Ring Saw review and thoughts

As I mentioned in my first post, I have a decent amount of experience with Gemini's Apollo Ring Saw - so much so that I am now on my second one. So, in the hopes that I will generate a little discussion with feedback on the Diamond Tech bandsaws and the Revolution XT Ring Saw, here are some of my thoughts on the XT's little brother.

The Apollo Ring Saw has allowed me to make smooth curved cuts in tile as well as glass. So, when the motor on my first Apollo burned out, I did just a little research here and elsewhere before deciding to purchase my second Apollo.

However, the Apollo ring saw has it's drawbacks, as well. For me, the 6" blade size is one of the top drawbacks. The back of the blade is less than 6" from where you are making your cuts, limiting how large your design can be. Obviously the Revolution XT (or the largest 2 Diamond Laser bandsaws) allows you to cut larger pieces with it's 10" blade size.

I consider the build quality to be fairly high. They use non rusting parts on every part of the saw (which is more that I can say for my first Kobalt sliding table saw!) While I consider it to be well made, it is not contractor grade. Also, it has many wear items, including the belt, multiple sizes of proprietary grommet assemblies, stabilizing splash guard, and of course, the blade. I quickly learned that I needed to keep extras of those wear items on hand - those that would be most apt to break unexpectedly. While this comes at a significant cost, a broken wear item no longer means I cannot use the saw for close to a week while I wait for the replacement part to arrive. (Also, the fact that I had several hundred dollars of new wear items for the Apollo was a factor in my deciding not to upsize to the Revolution XT when my first Apollo died!)

When it comes to cutting most tile, it is not fast. It is hard to say how many inches it cuts in a minute because that varies significantly from one type of tile to another . . . but I will estimate 2 to 3" for harder, denser tiles to as much as 6"+ for soft travertine. More intricate designs also necessitate going much slower. Also, it occasionally will bind up when I have to make a very tight curve. You cannot force whatever you are cutting or you are likely to break something - most likely the $70 blade!!! It's easy to do - I have done that too many times on blades that should have still had a significant amount of life remaining. Again, you cannot get in a hurry or it will cost you (more than it is already costing you.)

So, while it is not perfect, it does allow me to cut curved and intricate designs that only a couple other tools can manage (other ring saws, band saws, and, of course, a rather expensive machine called a water jet).

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase