Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #166
cx
Da Home Builder

I would grout everything in your niche, but that doesn't conform to tile industry standards.

I would caulk everything you show in your curb photo. The folks at ColorRite will make you a 100 percent silicone caulk in regular, satin, or sanded finish to match any grout color you like.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #167
makethatkerdistick

Lenny, yes, Schluter profiles always get grout. All regular changes of plane get caulk (curb or elsewhere). However, I grouted the niches in both of my showers with Spectralock. It's a small area situated within one big plane, unlikely to have major movement within occur. Plus, it's easier to clean in a highly visible/exposed area.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #168
gslenk

I think I am gonna go a little risky and grout everything except the two vertical wall inside corners. Grout the small 135 degree tile corners (curb tiles). Silicone caulk the curb joints (curb to curb joints and curb-wall joints).

Any reservations, or any rebels wanna tell me to grout everywhere?

CX, would you recommend ColorRite over Latasil silicone caulk, it just seems easier to get a laticrete color match directly from them.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #169
cx
Da Home Builder

No, Lenny, I can't really say I'd prefer the Color Sil over the Latisil on accounta I've never used the Latisil. I have tested some of the Color Sil types and colors and found them to match various grouts very closely in both color and texture and I know ColorRite will match any grout for which you can give them a name.

The Latisil sealants might be just as good, I just don't know them. If you can get what you want from Laticrete more easily, I'd say you should do that.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #170
gslenk

So I was cleaning the floor, and I tapped a tile, and it sounded different, turns out it was loose. After tapping like a madman, I think I found 3 more scattered around, although they don't sound as bad. Looks like it got good coverage, I didn't walk on it for at least 24 hours. When I did use a ladder, it was with a folded towel and wood blocks on top of the towel. Maybe cleaning the grout joints was too rough on it?

I cut the rubber/glue that holds it in the mosaic and popped the one tile out. Looks like good coverage, but poor adhesion. I'm guessing the right thing to do is pull any that are even suspect? Or is grout gonna lock them in place and not worry about it?
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #171
gslenk

I am getting ready to set the marble door threshold. There were some dark spots on the wood floor, so I sanded them out. It didn't take much sanding, but now there is unfinished wood flooring that the threshold would sit on top of.

So, should I seal the wood somehow first, or go ahead and just install the threshold?
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #172
cx
Da Home Builder

I would definitely wanna seal that wood before I installed any sort of threshold over it, Glen.

And especially if that's oak flooring, I caution you not even to say the words Portland cement or thinset mortar loudly in its presence or you're likely to have black stains that you will find neigh onto impossible to remove.

I would also caution you that it is possible for that red rosin paper to stain whatever is under it if the paper gets wet.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #173
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Quote:
And especially if that's oak flooring, I caution you not even to say the words Portland cement or thinset mortar loudly in its presence or you're likely to have black stains that you will find neigh onto impossible to remove.
True dat!

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #174
gslenk

There was some kind of mortar bed in there for 30+ years, so I'll be careful. Carpet is likely going back down there. Not too sure I want hardwood on the master bedroom yet, but will try to preserve it as an option. I did round the sharp edges on the marble threshold. The $15 harbor freight stone polishing discs did a great job.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #175
gslenk

I just finished all the black grout (floor and accent strip). What wait time would be appropriate to do the remaining silver grout? This is all with Spectralock.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #176
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Just had a 4 hour Spectralock session last night, Lenny, such fun.

I'd give it 12 hours.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #177
gslenk

All done grouting, maybe...

Seems like I washed out a little too much from at least one miter. Would a touch up work here and would y'all do it? Walls are enough pain, can't imagine a ceiling.

Also I went pretty overkill on washing, I definitely got some water/washing mix behind the tile anywhere I left open to silicone later, so should I add some extra wait time before silicone? I didn't dump water all over the place, but I used heavily loaded rags.
Attached Images

Last edited by gslenk; 08-08-2019 at 01:04 PM.
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #178
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You eventually learn to watch for those washed out places and touch them up while you still have grout mixed up. Best I remember, you need to wait about 20 minutes before washing Spectralock. Did you wait that long?

When spreading any type grout, I don't spread everything I mix. I keep a handful just for touching up as I wash.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #179
makethatkerdistick

Double-check surfaces for residue and wash/scrub again IF necessary before more time passes. You can make your own wash solution, using dishwasher detergent /warm water for solution I and vinegar/warm water for solution II. Don't use the vinegar on natural stone, obviously.

Then, leisurely mix up a tiny amount of Spectralock and regrout those mitered corners. The epoxy will stick to the old grout, no problem!
Old 08-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #180
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
IIRC, the instructions say to wait at least 20 minutes before the first wash, but not more than an hour from when the batch was first mixed. My limited experience suggests that if you wait 20 to 30 minutes a sponge and the initial wash solution does a good job, and you can use both the sponge and a wet finger to dress the joints. Past 45 minutes the sponge will get the residue off the tile face but isn't going to do much to dress the joints; a nylon mesh scrubby sponge helps.

30 ish minutes after the initial wash I use the final wash packet, a clean sponge, and a towel to take care of the remaining film. Has worked great.

And yes, SL doesn't seem to care much how full your joints are, it'll stick to itself just fine, though I give it longer to set up before the first wash.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase