Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #76
Kman

From here, your mud looks just fine. If you're not comfortable with it, skim it with some thinset mortar and allow it to dry overnight. Make sure you have a good, even slope from the perimeter to the drain at every point. If not, now is the time to correct it.

When you tap on the area of the drain where the bonding flange is, next to the trapezoid holes, does it sound hollow? If so, you may be able to carefully work some mortar underneath with a tuck pointer or something to give the flange more support.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #77
Radas
Tile Newbie

What Kman said. If you find there's sufficient mortar under the drain/flange and you cannot pack any more under there, I'd pry the flange up gently with a trowel and put some Kerdifix under the flange and then set a paint gallon or 5 gallon bucket on it for 24 hours until it cures. Kerdifix is pretty good for bonding dissimilar items (I used it along with hot glue to bond my schluter profiles before tiling).

What I did to combat the slightly unlevel drain and flange working itself loose from the drypack was countersunk the 4 holes on the Kerdi flange and ran 4 treated #9 deck screws through to the floor being careful not to apply too much tension to the drain. Once I finished my mud bed, the screws and flange were locked in and didn't move at all.

Your mud pan turned out good!

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #78
Johnny22

Caulk question

Hi all,

I'm planning to use kerapoxy for my shower floor and walls, using their "warm grey" colour. I'm in Canada so naturally selection here for everything is substantially less than the U.S. so I can't seem to find a 100% silicone caulk that isn't either a dark grey or pure white, for all corners and where walls connect. I think from what I'm reading even in the U.S. this is difficult to match exactly.

Is there a downside to using kerapoxy for all of these joints, then using a clear 100% silicone to completely "seal" the kerapoxy? I know it will be shiny, but assuming I have no issue with that, wouldn't that be the best way to 100% waterproof these joints?

Thank you,
Jason
Unread 10-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #79
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Yes, there is a downside. It ignores the reason for a flexible joint at changes of plane in the first place. That reason is differential movement between planes.

Surely we could smuggle a tube or two of color matching caulk up your way, but I bow to those with more Canadian experience than me.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #80
cx
Moderator emeritus

You might contact Colorrite to see if they'll ship to Canada. They can match any grout color and in satin or sanded textures if desired.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #81
Johnny22

Seems like this color rite is an acrylic caulk? Isn't that the same as Keracaulk?

I can buy Keracaulk here in Canada so if acrylic caulk will do the job can't I use that?
Unread 10-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #82
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Unfortunately, no. That’s a latex caulk that won’t do the job. It’s not nearly as flexible or long-lasting as 100% silicone.

ColorRite is a very good source for any color silicone...if they ship to Canada.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #83
Johnny22

Anyone from Canada know what people here use? I assume there's an alternative unless we're all doing our showers wrong!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase