Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Other forums > Computer Training

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2002, 01:54 PM   #1
kdzgon
Official CPA -- JB Forums

Is it possible to get rid of MSN search, or is that one of the prices one pays to use IE? (Don't tell me to load Opera - tried it, and got rid of it. )

Laurie
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-23-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
DavidT

You can customize the search on Explorer by clicking the Customize button at the top of the search side bar. You can then pick the search engines you want to use. The other option is to just go to your favorite search engines directly and bypass the search button entirely.

David
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
kdzgon

Thanks, Dave, but you cannot choose Google there, and IE still defaults to MSN in many instances, even when you have customized the search function at the browser. I was wondering if you can actually remove it from the system so IE would be forced to look elsewhere.
Unread 08-23-2002, 05:36 PM   #4
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Hi Laurie, I am'nt (my 5 year old used to say that) going to recommend Opera. I tried it, but it didn't click with me. I had to dump IE on principal when I heard about that virus you could get just by browsing to a website. Sheesh! That was enough for me. Now when using Windows the browser is Mozilla. It has really matured to the point of being a very good contender. You may want to check it out.

PS. I do keep IE around for the rare webpage that doesn't render correctly with Mozilla, but I feel unclean when I have to use it.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2002, 07:14 PM   #5
JC

Not that it would make any differance but remember Opera has differant settings.
Some settings where it opens multiple windows and such can be very annoying. The first couple times I tried it(older ones) I absolutly hated it..windows everywhere distracting. You can change the settings easily to be almost identical to what ever browser you use now. Just a matter of adapting to a differant interface other then one your used to.

Mozilla is a nice clean browser...I use it when Im in Linux.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 02:31 PM   #6
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Laurie, take a look at my thread "Google" a few days ago, in this forum.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2002, 07:24 AM   #7
kdzgon

Thanks, Jim - I know all about Google, and the toolbar, thanks. Google has been my search engine of choice from when it was first released - but it is not an option for search defaults on IE. My question really is about getting rid of MSN's search default. If I mis-type a web address, or if the browser times out, I am automatically re-directed to MSN's search. THAT's what I'm trying to eliminate.

I've saved Mozilla's home page, as I've read some good things about it. I haven't had time to experiment, yet. JC, if it's so great, do you use it all the time, or only when running off Linux? Dave, I never "upgraded" to IE's v6 in large part because of the security issues - it's a problem, for sure. In the meanwhile, I run behind a firewall, use Zone Alarm (great free (for personal use) program) and keep my virus software up to date and active.

Laurie
Unread 08-25-2002, 07:26 PM   #8
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Windows users, plug your ears and hum :)

JC, have you tried Galeon? It is my browser of choice in Linux. It's a gnome browser based on Mozilla, but with alot of bloat stripped out. It doesn't do mail or news, just the web. I love it.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2002, 07:34 PM   #9
JC

I have not run Linux for awhile..probably should but I kinda have everything on the Windows side of the disc right now.

I do think Mozilla is a good browser..it reminds me of the way Netscape USED to be back in the day.
However to chose between Mozilla and Opera is a no brainer..Operas wins for me hands down. Has more useful features and is IMO the best browser I ever used.

Netscape and IE would not be bad technicle wise if they would just stop that lousy spamming and advertising crap they want to keep shoving down our throats...and the default of sending you to the MSN search site is just another example of this and how they view the average user as nothing more then a lost money cow to be herded where ever they have paying sponsers.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase