Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
scorleo

Mapei Epoxy or Spectralock Epoxy Grout?

Hello - I've been tracking a very impressive thread on Spectralock Epoxy grout from Don, I almost bought it but on the second thought I'd like to do some justice to Mapei's Epoxy grout before the purchase. Does anyone have any view on Mapei's Epoxy grout? I'm looking for comparison on price, functionality, life, quality, ease of use...whatever.

Background: I need to grout 1/16" gap for granite tiles 12"x24", room 1: 320 sq ft and room 2: 300 sq ft, both rooms have different color grout.

Thanks,
Feroz

Last edited by scorleo; 06-01-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: punctuation...
scorleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
DonB

Hi Feroz,

I didn't even know Mapei made one but if I had a job the size of yours to do, I'd look hard at C-Cure ColorSet Epoxy System 931 or one of the Hydroment epoxies. I have a good friend who does mostly restaurant work and he says the C-Cure is the stuff.

I went with the Spectralock because I didn't feel like driving 50 miles to get the C-Cure and I was doing small areas. Many projects but no floors.The other stuff will be a lot more cost effective for you and although I've never used it, I really can't see how it can be difficult for anyone with a properly functioning brain. My friend says the C-Cure is dirt simple.

Keep us posted on what you learn and how it comes out, okay?

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
scorleo

HI Don - Here's the Mapei information, just fyi -->

Kerapoxy®

Premium, Stain-Free, 100%-Solids Epoxy Mortar and Grout
Kerapoxy is a premium-grade, water-cleanable, 100%-solids epoxy mortar and nonsagging grout system for installations where exceptionally high-strength chemical and impact resistance is required. Available in all 30 MAPEI colors for grouting, Kerapoxy allows use of light-colored grout without worries about spaghetti, fruit juice, ketchup or other tough stains. Kerapoxy is excellent for countertops, high-traffic areas, areas needing chemical resistance (bottling plants, etc.) – nearly anywhere a conventional grout might stain or break down. It is less sensitizing than other epoxy mortars and grouts. It also meets or exceeds ANSI A118.3 requirements for chemical-resistant, water-cleanable grouting epoxy, and is authorized by the USDA for incidental food contact.

Thanks for the advice on C-Cure, first I need to find out who carries it around this area. I certainly know the store that carries Mapei, or atleast can get the color that I need. Eitherway I'll let you know what I use and how it goes.

Thanks,
Feroz
scorleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
geniescience

I just put Mapei's almond grout in my shower. It is more plasticky than the Chembond grout I got a couple weeks ago, so that is good, since the first grout was too sandy for me.

I cut a large container into two parts. Measure carefully.

I put a large amount in the freezer after mixing, and used it the next day to continue.

This grout didn't pick up grit much. The first epoxy grout I put down did.
geniescience is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase