Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Unregistered

Exclamation Help! Stain in Absolute Black Granite

Hi-
I was referred to this forum from another forum-hope you don't mind this question...

I have Absolute Black Granite, installed about 1 month ago and sealed by the installer (NOW I know that it shouldn't have been sealed). On Christmas I was serving drinks with fresh lime juice in them. Woke up the next morning to see rings on my granite. It's not too noticeable, but I see them and it's driving me crazy. My guess is that the lime juice etched the granite. My question...what can I do to correct this, if anything??

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Unregistered

oops, sorry, I meant etched the sealer...

Thanks again-

Shelley
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
John Corley

I think you were correct the first time. You probably etched the stone.

The restoration pros will be by when they all get off work. Perhaps they have a remedy.

You have tried cleaning it right?

StoneTech makes some nice cleaners. Klenzall, Revitalizer.

Make sure it says for "Natural Stone"
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Claudia Ramirez
Sealer Lady :-)

Shelley-

Following is a technical bulletin that we sent to our distributors that addresses this issue.

Quote:
BLACK GRANITE MUST BE TESTED PRIOR TO INSTALLATION!
A very important matter has come to our attention through both our technical support service area and our in-house testing service area. We have found several instances where some Indian Absolute Black Granite products and some Chinese Black Granite products are sensitive to food products, chemicals, ultra-violet rays and cleaning agents. The granite is taking on a lighter hue in the affected areas. The polish is unaffected, however, the stone turns light gray and it takes on cloudy appearance.

Not all Indian Absolute Black Granite or Chinese Black Granite materials have been found to have this problem; it is only in isolated situations. We have been experiencing at least one problem per month throughout the United States and Canada.

It has been reported that some overseas factories are chemically treating the stone to get a deeper, dark black coloration. The deeper and darker the granite surface, the more desirable they become.

While there are many very reliable sources for Black Granite, precautions should be taken to prevent installation of inferior/defective material. In almost every instance that the problem has occurred, it has resulted in a breakdown of the relationships between designers, fabricators, general contractors, stone importers and the homeowner.

After all the damage is done it usually results in the project being torn out.
If you would like to test your inventory or test your purchases of Absolute Black Granite you can use both StoneTech Professional™ Restore™ and StoneTech Professional™ KlenzAll™ as testing liquids. We recommend you apply each of these cleaners in separate inconspicuous areas, let them stand for 30 minutes, rinse the surface and allow to dry. If the surface turns light gray you should avoid purchasing or using the material.

We are informing you of this to help you minimize potential losses in your business. As your stone solutions company, StoneTech Professional wants to keep you up-to-date on current situations regarding natural stone. We know you want to continue to provide quality products and services to your customers.

If we can be of further assistance please contact us at 1-888-STONEHELP (1-888-783-6343).
I know that is probably more than what you wanted to know, but is should help explaing what's going on.
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Shelley, Welcome!

Sorry to meet under these circumstances!

The only way I know to even out the "discoloration", is to completely remove the rest of the "applied" finish. Usually an acidic product will do the trick. WARNING: The original jet black finish will not be attained. The color will be the softer gray where the etch is.

You'll either have to live with the etches, or have the top restored (but to a different shade of the black as installed).

Hope this helps.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 04:03 AM   #6
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

They are correct about the enhanced materials, but I think you have a more simple issue.

Shelly, the other thing that is more than likely is that an impregnating sealer was improperly applied to the material.

The best thing to do is call the company that intalled the material and find out what type of impregnating sealer it is.

If you tell us that, we can tell you the best way to remove it.

Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 05:48 AM   #7
Unregistered

Thank you all very much for your very prompt and informative responses-wish I had found this forum before installing granite!! Regardless, after having a few anxious moments thinking that I had spent a lot of $$ on inferior product, I'm feeling a little more rational now. I have trust that my fabricator/installer is a reputable, knowledgeable guy-he sent 2 slabs of Black Zimbabwe back initially because he felt that they were inferior. I would think he would have done the same with the Absolute Black had he felt that way.

Steven, there are 2 coats of impregnator sealer on this-StoneTech Impregnator Pro. One was put one immediately after installation, and the other was put on by me (being overzealous) a few days later. The weird thing is, last night I was rubbing the rings very hard with my finger and they appeared to fade slightly...was this an illusion or could this have really happened and hopefully, they will disappear in time???

Thank you all again, for all of your help!

Shelley
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Claudia Ramirez

Shelley-

First of all, two applications of Impregnator Pro on and Absolute Black are probably too much. The "more is better" theory does not apply here!

If you have any leftover Impregnator Pro, put some over one of the "rings" and let it sit for a minute or two. Scrub the area with a white nylon pad or brush and wipe the area dry. Once the solvent evporates, is the ring gone? If so, then I think you have an over-application of sealer that needs to be removed. You can do the whole counter like the first area (above) or you can use straight mineral spirits and work small areas using the same scrub and wipe technique.

Please keep us posted as to what's going on, OK?
Unread 01-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Claudia took care of you.

let us know as she says.

PS I am very happy that you have a good fabricator.
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #10
Unregistered

Thank you all so much-I will try this process and keep you all informed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will do the trick!

Thank you again-

Shelley
Unread 01-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #11
Unregistered

Claudia-
Another question for you-can I do that to just the rings or do I have to take all of the sealer off the entire island? I guess my question is will there be a noticeable mark left on the granite (dull spot, etc.) where I will be able to tell that I took the sealer off making it necessary for me to do the entire space. Thanks again for your help.
Shelley
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #12
Claudia Ramirez

Shelley-

If there was an over-application of sealer on the entire counter, then you'll have to do the entire counter. What happens if you rub your fingernail across "undiscolored" parts of the counter, does anything come up? If you get a whiteish, waxy material, that indicates to me that you have excess sealer there so you'll have to remove it.

Just think of it this way, after all of this scrubbing and wiping dry, you won't have to do any upper body work at the gym for a couple of days!
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
Unregistered

Nice way to look at it! I could always use a little extra workout!
Unread 01-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
Unregistered

Shelly,

Your problem is very simple. Absolute Black does not require an impregnating sealer, period. What has happened is the sealer has dried on top of the stone leaving a coating. The lime juice has etched the coating not the stone. You can apply more of the same sealer to remove the exisiting although more than likley you will still leaver some sealer residue behind that will result in the same situation you have now. You really need to remove the sealer by having the counter top repolished. MB Stone has a product called MB-11 that you can use to do it by hand. mbstone.com

Do not reapply any more sealer. A correctly specified stone for a counter top application does not require any type of sealer.
Unread 01-07-2005, 05:51 AM   #15
Unregistered

I think I know this answer, but need to ask anyway; by removing the sealer (either through the use of MB-11 or more sealer), wil I effect the polish or color of the stone? I love the look of it right now, and would rather live with the rings than disturb it's appearance. Thank you again, for all of the help-I will keep you all updated!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase