Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Mamacita

Holey Grout

Finally getting close to being done with a "non-elective" bathroom remodel that's been in progress for 5 months. It's taken a handful of tile installers two attempts to get the shower put together (long story), but now that it's done I have major concerns about the shower floor. I am most concerned about the void in the grout near the drain, but there are also several little "holes" that have appeared throughout the rest of the grout as well, not to mention a couple of low spots between pebbles.

Since this remodel involved a major mold remediation, I am justifiably terrified of creating any new problems. Can the grout in this shower floor be repaired or is it back to the drawing board? HELP!!!
Attached Images

Unread 12-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jules.

Issues of mold would be more likely associated with the actual construction and waterproofing of your shower as well as the proper sizing and use of the exhaust fan in the room. And, of course, we know nothing at all about any of that.

If you'll tell us specifically what grout was used in your shower floor it would be very helpful. Name brand, make and model.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Mamacita

The shower was grouted with Custom Building Products Polyblend Sanded Grout...at least that's what it was supposed to be. Can you tell that I don't have a great deal of confidence in my ever changing crew...
Unread 12-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Polyblend grout has been around for quite a while. You'll find a "Love-Hate" relationship with it with the Pro's here. It's decent grout, though there have been issues with variances with color, etc. "Too much water," etc. when it's mixed. This might well have been your problem here.

If I were called to fix it, I would probably probe the areas of your concern...dig out anything that looks weak, mix up some of it and fill the gaps that you see. This "probably" will solve your issues. (Hope springs eternal...)

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Mamacita

Thanks so much for the input. This forum has definitely helped me avoid a couple of potential disasters over the course of this project. Now if we can just get over the finish line...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase