Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
Lou_MA

Help with understanding shear values

Not tile related but it piqued my curiosity.

The TDS for PL Premium lists values for “compression shear strength”. I thought compression and shear forces were perpendicular to each other. Can anyone here clarify?

And the back of a box of screws lists shear strength in “lbf”, whereas PL Premium lists their values in PSI. Can an apples-to-apples comparison be done between the two values? If so, how?
Attached Images

Unread 09-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Think you'll find the "compression shear" to be what's actually measured in the ceramic tile industry when we talk about shear bond strength. Generally used in shear bond testing with materials that aren't expected to deform during the test and the measured shear force is in the adhesive bond or the adhesive itself. The compression part of the description would come from the method of providing the force between the pieces. That's my understanding of it. The term compression shear is not one I grew up with and I don't know when it came into use.

Same would, I suppose, apply to materials such as construction adhesives when they were used to bond non-deforming materials. Seems to me there would be a difference there with wood members, where the adhesive bond would be capable of tearing off part of the wood in failure. Don't know all the ramifications of the test methods there.

The "pound force" unit is one I think is used somewhere other than here in the states. Don't know if a fella could convert results expressed in those units into PSI directly. We've got some engineering types hereabouts who can maybe 'splain such things in terms we can better understand. Well, terms maybe you could understand, anyway. Me, maybe not so much.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
speed51133

As an engineer, it makes no sense to me. they are different.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase