Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Afrmthabay

New shower pan has small pool of water

Hello everyone,

Thank you for allowing me to be on the forums everyone here provides great advice.I had a new shower pan installed and it appears to drain properly but there seems to be a little water left over after I shower. The shower pan dries in about three minutes after the shower. I am not sure what is the acceptable amount of water that is allowed to be left over. I uploaded pictures right after I took a shower. Any opinions would be appreciated. The water in the pictures is the water left over that did not drain. I figure after a shower a shower pan is going to be wet but was not sure how much was acceptable. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Attached Images

Unread 07-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Nice looking floor. Unfortunately, it looks as though there was inadequate slope in that corner. Particularly with that style of floor, you need a MINIMUM of 1/4" drop from the corners to the drain...I think a bit more in your case. Unfortunately, there is no answer other than to re-do the pan....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Afrmthabay

I apologize for the pictures here are some better ones. I thought it weird the only standing water left is a small portion near the center and the corners did not have any water. From these pictures can you please tell me which corner? Also I was wondering how much water left over is acceptable ? Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by Afrmthabay; 07-06-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Afrmthabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
makethatkerdistick

I've never seen a shower pan dry in three minutes. Did you mean "drain" instead of "dry"?

I cannot tell how much water is pooling there. You could take a sponge (already moist, so you won't falsify the results) and wipe up the residual water. Then squeeze what the sponge holds into a small container and measure/weigh in grams or ml. That would give people an idea of how much is actually left there.

If it's surface tension that holds the water, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a dip in the slope, then no, it is not ideal. A proper slope through the shower floor would not allow this to happen. However, if the amount is small enough, this wouldn't worry me too much. It'll evaporate.

Looks like a nice shower! Also, this was a tub before the redo? If so, the installer should have moved the drain to the center to facilitate slope building. I guess this step is often neglected because it requires extra work.
Unread 07-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Amrish.

I'm afraid I can't see the problem at all in your photos, but I think the others have covered the questions.

Do you have adequate slope?

Is the slope flat?

Without knowing how your shower receptor was constructed I can't really offer any suggestions on how the problem might be corrected.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Afrmthabay

I was able to get approximately 40ML with a moist sponge according to the jar after spraying the entire shower pan and letting it drain

I could definitely see the slope is not flat. Also, they voluntarily showed me with a level from the corner of the shower to the middle regarding the slope from all directions when making the shower. Although the pebble rocks appear to hold a little water behind despite the slope . In real time when I take a shower the water is continually running to the drain immediately. After I turn off the water the water runs for a while filtering through the rocks and then into the drain and then the water you see in the pictures is about a minute later which is left.

Yes it was a bath before

Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by Afrmthabay; 07-06-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Unread 07-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrish
Also, they voluntarily showed me with a level from the corner of the shower to the middle regarding the slope from all directions when making the shower
Being not level and having the proper slope are not always the same thing, Amrish. What you want to do is put a straight edge from the far corner to the drain and shim it up at the drain end until it is level, then measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the drain. Use that measurement and the measurement from the drain to the corner to determine if you have a minimum of 1/4" drop per each horizontal foot from the corner to the drain.

Then lay that same straight edge on the shower floor from the corner to the drain. It should be touching the floor all along that slope.

Most professional installers, when using that type of tile on the shower floor would opt to provide more than the minimum required slope, especially if they failed to move the drain to the center of the shower footprint.

The style of your drain grate appears to indicate that your shower receptor was made using a Kerdi drain and Kerdi membrane. Is that the case? And was it installed over a foam shower tray?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
Afrmthabay

Hello,

They made the shower pan themselves. It was a brand called ebbe unique for the drain similar to look to Kerdi after looking on the internet right now. Thanks for the info I will do that
Unread 07-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, that's a Ebbe drain grate. It's a regular 2 inch clamping drain with the Ebbe grate. Folks like Ebbe grates because of the many finishes to choose from.

Like Cx said, it's a good idea to have 3/8 or more per foot pitch when using pebbles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #10
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Just too many areas for surface tension to hold plus dips in the grout cause pooling. Sponge up after every shower if you have hard water so it won't calcify too much. The floor looks really good how does it feel on your bare feet
Unread 07-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

In your last pic of the floor, I see a shiny tile toward the bottom right that is likely water standing over the top of the rock. If it's just one or two rocks that's under water, I'd probably forget about it. But if it's a small area with many submerged rocks then I'd have the installer fix it. Using a small straight edge like a painter's stir stick on it's edge will help you see just how much of a dip you have. When checking this, keep one end of the stick pointed toward the drain.

For repairs, of course you want to be sure and use stones from the same batch. He should be able to raise those up and not be noticeable.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
Afrmthabay

Fortunately none of the rocks ever get submerged but they only have drops on them though but i have the little water that hangs out in the grout area between the rocks in one spot. The rocks seem to barely go higher in that area. I may end up using a sponge. The builder is willing to come back but I’m not sure in the long run what the little water in the grout will do in the one spot ?It feels great on my feet very smooth.

Last edited by Afrmthabay; 07-07-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Unread 07-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

After reading all this and the pics shown....I'd probably leave it alone and perhaps just sponge or towel it after use........

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
Afrmthabay

Awesome thank you everyone for all the help

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase