Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
bmlant

Advice for thermal break

Hey everyone, brand new to forum, so bear with me. I am doing a bathroom reno, installing a freestanding steam shower, and while I'm at it, I will be tiling to the floor.

So here are the details:

Concrete floor in basement
Small bathroom 5'X7.5'
I already purchased True Heat from orange box store.

After doing some online research, I discovered it might be a good idea to install a thermal break so as not to heat "down" into the concrete.
So I went on weekend to get something to install on top of concrete to be a thermal break, and all I came up with was Natural LVT with seal guard. Not sure if this is a thermal break, or meant to go on top of floor. I have since been scouring the internet looking for ideas recommendations, etc. the Ditra in floor heating looks very easy for the DIYer. Thoughts and comments please.
Unread 08-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
bmlant

Pictures

Product
Attached Images

Unread 08-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #3
bmlant

Installation instructions

Name:  Instructions.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  60.3 KB

Last edited by Kman; 08-04-2015 at 01:41 AM.
bmlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 01:47 AM   #4
Kman

Hello, Brent. Welcome to the forum.

That particular product is made for vinyl floor planks, hence the "LVT" on the label. (I believe that stands for luxury vinyl planks).

Do you have a link to the wire you plan to install? I'm not sure a thermal break is required but maybe we can find one that's appropriate for your heat system.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
bmlant

There was nothing specifically regarding a thermal break with the in floor heating system "True Comfort". I found some info online, that suggested it would be a good idea to put in a thermal break so that the floor heats up quicker, and less power is used heating "into" the floor. So I was only going to do it based on the logic of not throwing money out the window. So, do I need a thermal break, if so what is the best product?
Unread 08-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi Brent and welcome to the forum.

I couldn't find True Heat on Home Depot's website but I'm assuming it's a mat style heat system and not a spool of wire?

edit: Is the product True Comfort? It looks like it also comes in a wire and mat.

The product that you've linked to I fear will cause bonding issues with the thinset as it's basically a paint.

While I was on HD's site I looked for products that would work for a thermal break or insulation. I found cork, Easymat, and this product that I've never heard of before.

I didn't look very closely at these products so you'll need to read the instructions. I would stay away from peel&stick products and there is a version of Easymat that comes in a peel&stick.

But these are the types of products that you would want to look for in your area.

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 08-04-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
Ron
Tile Contractor

I don't know if you can get it but 1/4" Wedi board is ideal for just that.
It has an R-value of 1.1 at that thickness but since its body is a foam product (not a dense material), it provides an excellent thermal break and is easy to install in thin-set mortar.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
bmlant

Thanks for the reply, I've been away for a bit. So I didn't see til now. I talked to a tile guy at a specialty time store in the city. He suggested I might be over thinking the thermal beak thing. So to save on floor height and product cost, I will be proceeding without the thermal break.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase