Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Here's an in progress pic of the kitchen. Nice, but needs a little more visual interest I think.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

Less is more.....Your counters are BEAUTIFUL they are the more...the layout with the pencil rail the the 4x4 diag. is great no need to punch it up behind the stove. maybe use the mosaic as dots in the field or replace a field tile with a group of 4 of your 2x2's if they fit well.
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
ss3964spd

Wendy, Greg, you two are killing me!

I mean, what will I tell my wife; she was rrr...rrrrrriiii..... (see? I can't even type it....)
Unread 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
reefone
tile setter

ill confuse your mind a little more. since your counters are very nice and you dont want to take away from them. maybe you could put your design behind the stove and strait lay the field.
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Winter River
DIYer with more projects than time

I'll agree with Wendy and Greg. The counters need to be the center of attention, and they are when you're in the kitchen.

But from the other room looking in, you only see the edge of the counters. I can see why you think you need something behind the stove.

The trick will be to come up with a design for behind the stove that will be simple enough to not detract from the counters, but interesting enough to look good from the other room. I like the straight tile/pencil/diagonal tile design for the backsplash, but I think the mosaic you proposed for behind the stove is a bit much with the counters. Maybe an interesting remnant from the counter with a nice picture frame of tile and pencil?

I know, just adding to the confusion.
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

You could just run some delay tactics until she thinks the less is more idea was yours....wait a sec...that'll never happen, least it wouldn't work for me. Run the dots idea by her, she what she thinks...perhaps a joint victory in the design battle....If not, humble by is best enjoyed warm and quietly.
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
ss3964spd

Jerry, you're suggesting the 3X6's at the counter, topped with the pencil, then lay the 4X4's straight for the field, and do the 4X4's in a diag behind the cooktop framed with the pencil?

Elise, with the exception of the remnant - which I don't have, I think you're suggesting something similar to Jerry.

Greg, right - won't fly. She'd see right through that desperate ploy.

Alright, I'll abandon the framed mosaic behind the cooktop and incorporate some dots in the design.

This is the adjoining room - hence all the wood work in the kitchen to tie it in.
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Hey Dan, yes it is not an easy decision when you can't visualize it. Going in and seeing picking out the slab having your "moment" was easy. I really like your kitchen, with granite the island done in a different material. I like the contrast. Many people over and over say about the granite being the focal point but I am gonna kinda disagree.

The focal point should be the backsplash. I mean yes you spend all the dough on the granite but do you see people leaning on the granite staring at it, maybe initially since it is new. Most people are standing back looking at the kitchen as a whole and seeing the backsplash more than the countertops.

Standing back a ways looking at the overall kitchen that stove area should pop out, I disagree with some here but it is a forum and we all have our opinions and rightfully so! One thing is I am not a big fan of using dots here and there, I feel that distracts you. Hey to each their own. I do feel the stove area should be featured and I like your idea. The pencil or dome liners really pick up the countertops. I am going to agree with Jerry who said about not going diagonal. I would straight set it the way you have it with the liner above the first row of tile. Above your second row of field tile start your feature area above the stove. So you have separation.

So I do agree you won't want to take away from the countertop granite I do believe you need to accent it appropriately with the feature area of the stove where you wife will be a lot, looking saying WOW. Of course eventually she will stop looking at the tile and more the food and burners...lol I think a "too simple" backsplash can be a poor accent to a really nice countertop. This way you could center the window area too. In your feature area you could incorporate the field tile as well doing something with that inside the liners though I like
the way you have it without the diags.

Looks like you had already decided while I was writing this.......lol

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Dan, as for the feature panel.... why don't you let Mrs. Dan decide how she wants the panel. Either the 4X4's in diagonal or how you have it when you posted the pic.

How about a row of 4X4's, the liner above, 3X6's offset and 4X4's inside the feature panel above the stove.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
ss3964spd

Really appreciate your suggestions, Jon/everyone, more food for thought.

Indeed, tough to see it in my minds eye. I think what I'll end up doing is install a good bit of the 3X6 and pencil first and then tape the mosaic's in place to get a sense of how it'll look from various distances and angles.

Though the stone does have some character in it, my overall concern is having it all look too...well, too bland. Of course, at the same time I don't want it to fight with the counter. I, too, like how the pencil picks up the color of the counter and carries it onto the wall.

Undecided about the dots. I like details

Leaving it up to Mrs. Dan - well, suffice to say I had a heck of a time talking her into the bold paint color I used in the bathroom I tiled (why I found this forum) sometime ago.
Unread 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
airscapes

They make double faced Duct tape, it was very helpful when trying to visualize. Just make sure both surfaces are dust free..
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
ss3964spd

Power Grout 550 - should I?

Alright - still plowing ahead with this small job back splash job.

Quick question, though, regarding natural stone tiles, grout, and sealing. The tiles are limestone - kinda cool being able to see the fossils. Tile store advised that I seal the stone before grouting. No prob.

They also sold me Power Grout 550 which, as I read in that long thread in the Pros Hangout, may - or may not, induce significant heartburn after grouting. It seems most of the issues with PG550 are in showers, but no one seems to know why it's happening.

My question is, has anyone used PG550 after first using a tile sealer?

If I elect to abandon the PG550, what brand would be recommended given b eing purchased at Lowes or Depot?

Thanks much,
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #28
airscapes

The TEC Accucolor or the slightly different packaged version sold at Lowes worked very well for me. Applications was a Tumbled Travertine back splash. The TEC Accucolor sanded caulk matches perfectly to these grout colors. Accucolor http://www.tecspecialty.com/products...ded-Grout.html is sold at tile stores. Lowes has Design Color.. same stuff different bag according to TEC Tech support http://www.tecskillset.com/tile-inst...ded-grout.html

I did have to buy the cualk at the local tile store as Lowes didn't have it in stock.
http://www.tecspecialty.com/products...lic-Caulk.html
And Yes, I did seal the stone before I did the grout, and even so, had some issues to work out when complete..

Last edited by airscapes; 01-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.
airscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
ss3964spd

The Compromise

So here's the design we finally agreed on. The decorative 4X4's are actually 2X2's (well, 1 7/8th's) from Depot and are horribly put together on a 12" strip of mesh. Had to purchase more than I needed just to get the best ones. Setting them and getting the spacing right was something I don't want to do again. Ever.

To make the job more fun the manufacturer of the 4X4's must have thought it would be amusing to mix in some tiles that were cut to form a trapezoid instead of a square. Clever, very clever. Of course that realization didn't dawn on me until more than half way finished. I ended up going through the remaining boxes and checking each tile with a square. And of course few measured an exact 4X4 - problematic when using a 1/8th inch grout line.

Still, though, didn't turn out too bad, and I rather like how the straight laid rows give the illusion of greater length. I'll get some better photos up once I seal and grout.
Attached Images

Unread 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #30
ss3964spd

Finished!

Actually finished the tile and sealing and grouting some weeks ago but needed to wrap up the trim work.

The tile is limestone - replete with fossils and all. Not the splash of boldi-ish color I wanted but compromises must be made. Clean, simple design that also keeps the kitchen a little brighter.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Next tile project will be significantly more involved - master bath overhaul.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase