Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #76
Flyingscot

Soooo close to starting the tile. Walls and ceiling in the dry areas almost all sheet-rocked. Not perfect but I was doing everything by myself. Janky drywall around window is only there to support trim. It won’t be visible so I didn’t try too hard. Time to get the Ditra.
Attached Images

Unread 08-30-2019, 05:51 AM   #77
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
It all take time, Lynne, especially if it's a one-man-show, and even longer if that man isn't a pro.

Is that ceiling box a bit on the low side?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #78
Flyingscot

Part of it is the angle but yeah it’s a little low and I figured out it isn’t centered either. Of course that happened after the Sheetrock! I’ll fix both issues tomorrow although the light actually fits okay. FTR I did not install the box.
Unread 09-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #79
Flyingscot

It looks like I'll be starting to tile the floor this weekend. 2" marble hex on mesh over Ditra (I'm more than good on the deflection). I know, I know marble is the devil but this will be a rarely used guest bath. I carefully measured the tiles to make sure they were actually 2" and they are. I'll be using Schluter Allset for the Ditra and the tile. Yes, it's expensive but it was hotter than hell the day I picked up my Kerdiboard and I had to get it home on the TOP of my car and I just didn't want to have to go to Homers after all of that to get a less spendy thinset. Question is do I want a 1/4" by 1/4" square notch or a 3/16" V notch for the tile. I know either will work for the Ditra. Also thoughts on how to backbutter without drowning the tile in thinset. I saw a suggestion of troweling thinset onto a damp plywood board and plopping the sheet down into it then pulling it off, checking for coverage and installing it in the usual fashion which makes total sense to me.
Unread 09-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #80
Mdsims

Your mileage may vary: I used a 1/4x3/16 v notch trowel for 2x2 Marble hex over Ditra in my bath remodel. Worked like a charm, great coverage, not so much thinset it oozed out of the joints, tiles set firmly into the thinset and Ditra which helped keep all the sheets level and flat. My floor was perfectly flat, however. If you have some bumps or floor issues, might want to consider that in trowel selection, or level it out first.
Unread 09-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #81
Flyingscot

Thanks Matt! Your info is exactly what I was looking for. Fortunately my floor is perfectly flat-I installed the joists myself after reading posts on this forum!
Unread 09-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #82
Mdsims

I don't recall what trowel I used to set the Ditra, it may have been the same v notch, I played with a couple on hand to see what I liked the best. I had a wood 12 or 18" float from a past concrete job, I used that to embed the Ditra. Worked very well.

Back butter the 2" hex?! Don't! You don't need to. My hex was set on fiberglass mesh with a somewhat rubbery adhesive (think somewhat tacky hot glue) so I removed excess portions of that to expose more marble, wiped the back of each sheet with lightly damp rag to provide a little moisture and remove dust, then set in fresh ridges of thinset with the 3/16x1/4 v notch trowel.
Unread 09-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #83
Flyingscot

Good to know. My tile is exactly like that. I still have to dry fit it which I suspect will take longer than the actual tiling because I'm picky.
Unread 09-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #84
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I laid my 3/8th" thick 2X2's (approx) on mesh using a 1/4" SN trowel and Versabond over Durock membrane. I did not even attempt to back butter, but I did lay only 1 or 2 sheets at a time to make sure the mortar didn't skin over.

I had no problems with squeeze out once I honed my technique after 3 sheets.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #85
Flyingscot

Thank you for the info. Looks like I'll have a bit of trial and error. The good thing is I am impressed with the quality of the tile. The mesh is sturdy so each square is fairly easy to handle-doesn't lop over like others I've seen and the tiles are evenly spaced. There might be one here or there that needs to be hand-set but way better than what I've seen at the big box stores. I bought them on-line so it was a crap shoot.
Unread 09-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #86
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

When you can't realistically burn a coat of mortar onto the back of tile (like with these), you really want to pay close attention to mixing the mortar to spec and not allowing it to get too old. You want it to be nice and sticky so it transefers to the tile as easily as possible. And while you can give the mortar a twist with the mixer to help keep it fresh, never add water after the initial mixing.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #87
Flyingscot

Thanks Tonto. I'm not going to rush this so my plan is to mix just enough for one row at a time to start. I've laid out the tile and marked each sheet where they go as I randomly staggered them to avoid the grid effect. When I'm tiling I think I'll be dry fitting them a row at a time, marking and then cutting as needed, then mixing thinset and installing. I bought a dry scale to measure accurately. Mix, slake, mix again and then don't fuss with it other than applying.
Unread 09-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #88
Flyingscot

New Question

I managed to install the Ditra with little more than some anxiety but no big slip ups. I spent hours dry fitting my tile and last night cut all the tiles for the edges on my new tile saw. I was able to fit the tile so that I have half hex tiles at both edges so the cuts should have been easy (point to point) but the saw kept breaking off the last corner on practically every tile. I went slow, I went fast, I custom made a pusher and I used masking tape. I made sure the blade was installed correctly. I used the rip guide. Nothing helped. The saw is not expensive but not the cheapest either. I can’t afford and don’t need a professional one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-7-...S722/205049842

Would a different blade help and if so what would you recommend? I don’t mind spending money on the blade. I have a lot of tile to cut.
Unread 09-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #89
Gozo

Cut it from one end maybe 10% through, and then from the other end to meet up with the cut. You’ll have a little pip of a chip sticking out that you can smooth down with either a rub stone or touching it to the side of the blade. A decent blade makes a difference from the cheap generic blades that usually come with the saw. Of course you want to make some practice cuts before you dig into the production cutting.
Unread 09-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #90
Flyingscot

7 hours later. Also, what grout? 2” honed marble with 1/8th in grout lines. Lightly used bathroom. Going with white.
Attached Images

Last edited by Flyingscot; 09-08-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Flyingscot is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase