Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
bgronski

8" cast iron shower floor drain

Guys,

Please give me some ideas on this one: My wife's Aunt has an old house that she is beginning to update for future sale. She has a basement shower stall that is tiled with plastic 4"tiles over a mud and wire lath walls. It hasn't been used in years due to it leaking.

I plan to Kerdi the stall to waterproof it, after i get the mastic scraped off the walls. I need some ideas on what I should do with the shower drain? It has an old 8" cast grate for a shower drain, I really do not want to have to cut into the floor and replumb it. In looking around I have not been able to come up with a solution. I thought I would run it by you guys before cutting into the floor.

Thanks,

Brian Gronski
Taconite Tile & Home Impr. Inc.
Andover, MN
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Brian, call Schluter and see if one of their drain adapters will fit that thing. They've got a couple designs to fit more current commercial drains, I know, but don't know that they'll fit yours.

Chippin' out and replacing what you've got isn't usually that big a deal. We hafta do it on nearly every shower in my part of the country. Mostly single story and SOG.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase