Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
lovedam

Newbie Subfloor Question

I know this question has been asked and answered a billion times

my deflecto number was L / 1004. I am installing fired granite floor tiles in my 5' x 9' bathroom.

we had to take up all of the flooring because of water damage, and we put down 3/4" Advantech flooring.

Do i need to install another layer of flooring before I put down the ditra?

I've read a lot of opinions... and I'm not really looking forward to having to put more floor down, but I will if it means the tile job will be the best...

Also, for the shower, I am using the pre-formed kerdi tray and kerdi show kit. if I put more floor down, will I need to put it down under the tray as well? or just under where the floor tile will be?

Thanks,
Damon
lovedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Damon,

Yep, you'll need another layer of plywood. Use 3/8 minimum CCX Exterior Glue Plywood for the underlayment. Thicker is better, and I'd run it into the shower too. Install it according to the instructions in the Ditra Installation Handbook. Link

On top of the plywood, you'll install the Ditra.

Have fun

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "

Last edited by dhagin; 05-07-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: ditra...
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase