Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Aaron Ballman

Ceramic tile deflection

I have a quick question well it might not be that quick i want to put ceramic tile in my kitchen it passes the deflection calculator test with input to the best of my knowledge. My problem is the floor when people walk by me in the kitchen and im sitting down i can feel the floor bow now to me that would be unacceptable is there a way that i could put the tile in without reinfourcing the joists in the crawl space. Somebody at my work said i would have to pour cement and redue all the woodwork and then somebody else said all i would need would be cement board help please christmas is coming and i would love to know what im getting into. thanks
Aaron Ballman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Cement board, or CBU doesn't add to structural integrity. If you can
feel the floor sink like you are on a trampoline i would investigate
the matter further.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Nivlek

Hi Aaron,

Your floor deflections may be due to one or more of the following:

1) the joists are undersized for the spans which they are used (or spaced to far apart). To remedy this you would need to either take up the floor and drop in new "in between" joists but this is often difficult to do because mechanical/electrical/blocking/bridging often interfere with this - or perhaps also introduce some other structural remedy (plate the bottom of the joists, put in a new line of support, etc.).

2) the sub-flooring is either not thick enough of not well connected to the joists. To remedy this, one could adhere another layer of plywood subfloor or if insufficient connection between floor and joist, simply add more screws.

or

3) there may be some damage and/or structural loss in the span. Sometimes builders/contractors put holes thru joists (often at the worst possible spot) in order to pass a pipe, wire, etc. Also, it could be an inferior grade of lumber (some builders have been known to use lesser grade lumber to cut corners). If this were the case, you might be back no No. 1.

There is no way of telling of course until more data is gathered.

One type of non-destructive test you could perform is to place a level string between two sides of the room in question and get it as taught as you can. Tape a cardboard "inch ruler" to the floor in the spot you think might have the worst deflection or bounce. Measure the offset then move something heavy (one or two or three people) near that spot and measure it again. If the span and weights are known along with the change in deflection under those loads, then you might be able to see how much problem there is.
Unread 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Aaron.

We need a lot more detail on your actual floor structure to give you any meaningful help.

Joist type, size, spacing, unsupported span. Subfloor type, size, condition.

That sorta thing. Very specifically.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Aaron Ballman

Thanks for the help i might be able to get down there this weekend but i had surgery on my leg its hard to get in the crawl space. Ill get measurements on the joists and the spacing in between joists .I already know that the joists arent rotten or cracked they are nice and clean the only problem i did notice is in the living room if i were to lift up the carpet there is hard wood planks and those are laying right on top of the joists the whole house is like that. There probably half inch thick the wood planks ive always thought that the floor just wasnt thick enough and that is why it would bow but ive never done this before so i dont know.
Aaron Ballman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Nivlek

Well enough - we'll await the results of the exculpatory mission! Even so, 1/2" flooring is likely not enough to permit effective distribution of load between joists - usually 3/4" or 7/8" material is required to get good results.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase