Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Boy Scout

Exclamation building a glass block wall in my shower

Hello there, I have enjoyed the silent benefit of the John Bridge forum for a couple of years now. Nice to begin meeting you all, after having read so many questions and replies.

I am wanting to install a glass block wall in my shower. I just tiled it with porcelein tile. The glas block will be a permanent wall partition on the left half of the curb with a clear glass door hinged on the oppoing wall and meeting the glas block in the middle of the curb. So the glass block will set on the curb and against one wall and be about 6 feet high, so not all the way to the ceiling. I have been getting very confused looking at the different "systems" used to install. most of them call for drilling anchors into the vertical wall - but it is porcelein...is this necessary? What is the best procedure for installing this glass block?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
koihito
A person, like you.

I've never used a "system" to install glass block, so I can't speak to them.

Yes you need to anchor to the wall and use reinforcing (like mini rebar) at least every third row. Personally, I use glass block mortar left recessed and then grout the glass block to match the shower, it looks great!

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Boy Scout

How should I go about anchoring to the wall, i.e. with what, and how should I drill the smaller holes? would a roto-hammer-drill and bit be good?
Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
koihito
A person, like you.

I use 12" strips of stainless perforated with holes bent into an "L" and tie it to the rebar. A hammer drill, carbide bit, and much patients will get you through the porcelain. Take your time and don't be in a hurry, trying to drill to quickly is more likely to crack tile. Hopefully your on a stud to screw into, if not you'll need to use some good anchors (meaning no plastic plugs; real, honest anchors).

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

hello boy scout, got a first name we can call you?

I just installed some glass block on a pony wall for a shower using the Provantage system from Pittsburgh Corning. not sure if I really liked it. the problem is that the block wall had no rigidity, it wiggled - more than I liked. but I don't think glass block mortar would have made it any more stiffer. we ended up installing a bar across the top of the block and connected it to the opposite wall.

whatever method you choose, you'll need anchors and support like nathan suggested.

Unread 09-08-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Tim_4_Tile

You should take a look at the helpful stuff on Pittsburgh-Corning's website if you haven't already. My Lowe's stocks all the components, and maybe one near you will also (I've heard that some don't). This includes the stainless steel wall anchoring material as well as the stainless reinforcing bar that goes every couple horizontal rows.

I installed my wall before tiling and anchored it into studs with stainless steel screws. I used the "Mortar II" system according to Pittsburgh-Corning. I liked TEC glass block mortar over the Laticrete glass block mortar.

There's not a lot of detail of the glass block construction on my thread, but you're welcome to take a look and I'd be happy to try to help (as a fellow DIYer, that is).

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38610
Tim_4_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase