Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
bgronski

kerdi on a tub surround

Is it possible to to Kerdi a tub surround? I have not seen mention of using Kerdi with a tub in any of the literature I have. My only concern is the seal at the tub itself. Your thoughts please!

Brian Gronski
Taconite Tile
Andover MN
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

I don"t see why it would be neccassary, if you do it right you shouldn"t need it. I usually do mine with cbu and thinset and don"t have any problems.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

Not only possible, but good idea, in my humble opinion.

Cement board is not waterproof. It doesn't COLLAPSE AND DIE when it''s wet like sheetrock, but it does wick the moisture through to the studs, stay wet and create an environment that promotes mold growth. (Note to purists and those who is technical - I didn't say it feeds mold; cement can't. I said that by wicking up water from the grout and holes, it spreads the water out and leaves the area wet for long enough for mold to begin to grow, since dark, room temp and moist are 3 out of 4 things a mold needs to be happy. Add a food source, such as oil from soap or cellulosic studs, and presto!, mold city.)

Better to have the cement board never get wet.

I'm basing this on tub surrounds with cement boards, used a lot, that create ugly appearance issues with mold in the lower rows of tile, where it never dries. We do regrouting and appearance care, like marble polishing. Kerdi would prevent this stuff from happening. It only takes an extra hour or two to do a tub surround; not bad for what it offers.

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Bri
The Ditra Kid

I just bring the Kerdi down over the flange of the tub. Tile as usual and caulk as usual. I used to use silicone to adhere the Kerdi to the tub flange, so that water couldn't wick up the thin set..but now I'm old, and don't have the patience to unplug the silicone tub.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
bgronski

I am doing a paver install for the homeowner, she didn't realize that I am a tile setter. She asked me in to give her an estimate on her tub surround. it seams she has a friend that is a handyman that owes her some money so he was supposedly working off his debt.

He has the shower surround all durocked in, looks really good, with a nice big niche in the wall. he didn't poly it off at all so it is a leak waiting to happen! Instead of tearing it all out I figure it would be much easier to wrap it in Kerdi and tile away. My concern is water getting behing the kerdi at the tub and wicking up the Durock.

I also have a job coming up where I have to tearout plaster walls and redo the shower surround above the tub. I have the same concern with sheet rocking it. Would I be better off to Hardi Board it at the tub and silicone the bottom edge of the Hardi board to prevent wicking??

Brian
Unread 08-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Bri
The Ditra Kid

I wouldn't worry about wicking if the board isn't sitting on the tub. If there's a space between, then water won't wick, and the kerdi will protect the rest. Also, trying to put Kerdi over Hardi is a real PITA. It sucks the moisture out of the thin set so fast, you can't do a nice job. The best thing behind Kerdi is drywall. It's nice and flat, and give you time to flatten everything out.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
bgronski

Good advice!! I would not have taken that into consideration!
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
HS345
Tile Contractor

The best way to seal the Kerdi/tub flange connection is with Kerdi Fix

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase