Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-16-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
Joerg

How to dress up carpet against tile?

Hello Folks,

The next tile project will require some existing carpet to be cut back and then butted against the new tile field. It is the usual high floor style carpet which is stretched and held with nail beds. I don't want to use nail beds or hook brackets because of the danger they pose to kids and to dogs. I even cut myself badly on one.

Schluter makes some stuff but either there is nothing on the carpet side or there is the usual bed of sharp hooks. Then I saw some glue tape at Lowes but with the 90F plus we have here in the house at times I don't like think that'll hold for long.

Is there any other glue you guy use to butt carpet against a tile field?

Regards, Joerg.
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

I don't see how the tack strips can cut you if the carpet is tucked over it and into the side of the tile, have it this way in my home, no problems yet, no shoes allowed either.
Attached Images

Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
Joerg

That sure looks like a neat job. What I am worried about with tack strips is that if kids run their fingers along them away from the edge they can cut. Same with dogs paws if they perform a Fred Flintstone start from the carpet edge onto the tile.

We have another little issue: There is a 2" mortar bed throughout the house with radiant heat tubes in there. So fixing a tiles strip ain't that easy unless I use a Schluter product. But even their Reno doesn't come with a tack strip on the carpet end, they are made for glue down carpet as they have them in Europe.

Regards, Joerg.
Unread 08-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Joerg,

You can glue the tack strips to the floor. After you've tucked the carpet and you're satified with the job, bend the pins over with a hammer. Nobody will get poked then.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
bgronski

Is your carpet that thin that the tack strip pokes through? If so they will be poking through all the way around the perimeter. Like john said, tap them over with a hammer. Here is how I transitioned on a job I finished last week. Put the tack strip 1/4" from the tile and tuck under tipped tile.
Attached Images

bgronski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Yeah, that's the way to do it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
Joerg

Thanks, guys. I guess tack strip it is then.

I wonder why we don't have this foam backed carpet they have in Europe. There you just pour some milky substance on the floor, distribute it with an old broom and then the carpet gets rolled onto that. Lays flat like a brick, all the way up to tile edges. Can be picked up again easily if a new carpet is needed. No sowing together of carpet rolls, no tack strips.

Regards, Joerg.
Unread 08-17-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
golferoftheday

Tackless strip is availabe in different pin heights. Some of todays higher end carpets require tackstrip that has a lower pin height. Smashing down pins with a hammer is not the best way to go. This at times can create more problems than it is worth.

If you hammmer to hard, the pins could cut through the backing of the carpet leaving it flapping in the breeze. This in turn may cause the carpet to loose its initial stretch and cause wrinkles in the future. Also some day you may need to pull back the carpet in that area. If the pins are folded down over the backing they would act like staples and you would most likely end up ripping the carpet.

The number one reason we as installers do not smash down strip is because it can cause unsightly appearances. Shag type carpets may not show the damage but a high end plush or low level loop will.

I did want to say that I really like what appears to be tile sloped down in the doorway. I must say I had never seen that before. Most of the time I have to look at fixing that 2 inch transitions with a wood transition of some type. Very impressive. Good Job.

Last edited by golferoftheday; 08-17-2004 at 06:58 PM.
golferoftheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Travis from Indy

What does "tipped" tile mean ?

bgronski said (from 8-16-04):
"...Here is how I transitioned on a job I finished last week. Put the tack strip 1/4" from the tile and tuck under tipped tile."

What does this term "tipped" mean?
Travis from Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum.

Brian hasn't been on the forum in a couple months, so I'll answer for him. If you look real close, you'll see that the 1 3/4" strips of tile he has at the doorway, they're sloped heavily downhill to meet the carpet. This was his method of dealing with the step up onto the tile from the carpet.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
bgronski

Travis the 1 inch wide tile in the picture is not flat or on the same plane as the rest of the tile. Due to the underlayment beneath the tile there is too much of an elevation difference between the top of the tile and carpet. to reduce the elevation difference, the 1 inch tile is "tipped" to transition from the tile to carpet. So one edge of the 1 inch tile is resting on the underlayment, and the other is on the plywood.
Unread 04-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

in that situation I would have installed a 2" threshold slightly tilted and save the small slither looking piece for another day.

carpet tucks great to a threshold on a bathroom doorway really easy.
Attached Images

..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Oh, sure...Brian hasn't logged on since Feb and he answers 8 minutes after I finish saying just that.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

that's a Brian for ya
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase