Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
GRT

Tile saw question

While the server was down I spent all that time researching tile saws.

Hmmm. Which Felker do I buy? Maybe a TM-75?? Maybe a bigger one? Now that I saw it - I want it. You know how it is.

Ok, back to reality. I have a small box saw. The blade cuts up through the tile from the bottom. On saws like the TM-75 the blade cuts down through the surface. Is there any difference in the quality of the cut (chipping etc) with saws like the TM-75 that cut from above the surface?

I've already convinced myself that getting away from the spray of the box saw will be worth it. The quality of the cut might cinch it. Then I can tell my wife how much better the tile job will be with a new saw - yeah that's it - maybe she'll buy that line. It might work! Maybe.......

Glenn
GRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Bri
The Ditra Kid

If you find out where they actually sell a Felker saw in Ontario, let me know. Lot's of Targets,but I've never even seen a Felker yet.

And I think the top cutting type makes a better cut....but that could be just me.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
Mike2

Hi Glen:

I've never used one of the smaller saws with the blade mounted below the table so I really can't provide a comparison for you. But I do have a TM-75 and I can tell you that by matching the tile/stone being cut with the proper blade, if there are any chips they are much too small for my eyes to see - nice and clean, very much so. And you stay dry.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 06:17 AM   #4
GRT

Brian, here is a company that lists the FTS-150 for sale. I think they are from the Ottawa area. Not a very user friendly site though. http://www.stdenisdistribution.com

Aren't Target and Felker made by the same company?

I live on the border so ordering a saw from the USA is not an issue. It's usually cheaper too. Been to customs many times.

Glenn
Unread 07-31-2004, 06:37 AM   #5
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

You can never go wrong buying a top quality tool.
The differance between an FTS 150 and a box saw...........Lets just say a phillips screwdriver and a dewalt screwgun makes a good comparison.Wanna Hang a dozen sheets of sheetrock and screw it by hand?? Didnt think so

You'll be stepping into a whole new world with a purchase like this and you may even decide to tile the garage you'll like it so Much!!
The FTS 150 is not the cadillac,but its a pretty nice Chevy and Seeing as Chevy is dominating Nascar ,Thats not too Bad!!
Might i suggest finding a nice Rubi Cutter scribing board to go along with your new saw.Perhaps selling the box saw will get you a nice used Rubi Cutter on Ebay.It will speed up your installations and save you alot of up and down as it can sit right alongside you.Much easier on the body in the long run
Unread 07-31-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
GRT

Ok - you really like the FTS-150. what do you think about the Tm-75?
Rubi Cutter? That's new to me now. I have two tile cutters, a really cheap one and a little better one - never had very good results with either.
Here I go researching again.

Glenn
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:01 AM   #7
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Glen, I own a TM-75 and its a great little saw.
I would not hesitate to reccomend it to you but keep this in mind, If you are going to do much tilework and you can only own 1 saw,get the bigger of the two.
My main saw is a Tilemaster SC(super Compact)Which is no longer made and was superceded by the FTS 150.It makes for an excellant mainline workhorse.It will give you a lifetime of service even if you became a part time pro installer. The TM-75 i use for small jobs like backsplashes,small tubsplashes and repair work mostly as its lightweight and sets up fast.
The motor size while capable of doing floor tile would not hold up in a proffessional atmosphere where its daily use cutting porcelains would wear it out much quicker.Dont get me wrong, it will handle many thousands of sq feet of floor tile but i wouldnt want to put it through 25-30,000 s/f a year like My main saw
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:20 AM   #8
GRT

Thanks, Todd. I like the idea of buy the best you can up front. I learned that from buying things like $25 cordless drill and that little box-saw. Now I own a 1/2" Dewalt cordless drill and now every time I buy a new tool I gravitate to the better ones.

What I have to consider here is the "spousal factor" I have to justify the added cost when I don't do this for a living. Here, let me try this out.

"But dear, I have already tiled the laundry room, Basement bathroom, 2 fireplaces, the stairway, the bar countertop and floor, Grandma's bathroom floor and now you want me to do 2 complete bathroom remodels and the kitchen floor too?" "It would be so much easier and would turn out so much nicer with a quality saw" - Works on me. Will it work on her?

Can I really justify the cost of the better saw if I never do this for a living?

Glenn
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:22 AM   #9
GRT

Todd, forgot to ask - what Rubi-Cutter would you recommend? There are lots of different models out there.

Glenn
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:28 AM   #10
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

It worked on me
I found something for you on the Rubi cutter
Try this and remember what they cost new.
Figure on ordering a few turrets for it.a couple small wheel and a couple large wheel should last you the rest of your life
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...315963249&rd=1

This is an economy model.
The TS 30 or 40 would be a pro model

OK now keep in mind that for the average Homeowner the TM-75 will do anything you need it to do but the 150 will also do small paver jobs etc.talk to her about the landscaping possibilities
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:32 AM   #11
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Ya put the tile install on hold while you complain about how inadequate the small tile saw is, silly! Go fishin and drinkin, all the while complainin how much tile you COULD do if you had the right tools. She'll never go for the $200. rubi though.
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:33 AM   #12
GRT

Pavers - yeah that's it!

I did our 2 driveways and a patio several years ago. The rental on the paver saw was about $200 alone. Could be the clincher!

I'll check out the e-bay link.

Thanks.

Glenn
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:35 AM   #13
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Found a steal for you.
Buy this and order a new tray for it and you'll really have a saw capable of doing a Mans Job!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Somebody should grab this one up today!!!
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:37 AM   #14
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Excellent!No, i'm not gonna swipe it,got 5.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:38 AM   #15
GRT

Fishin' and drinkin' is good. I don't think she'll go for the cutter and the saw at the same time either. I might not want to use anything but the saw to cut if I get it either.
Maybe I can sneak the cutter in later?

Glenn

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase