Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
barnyardie

Slope

Tub to shower conversion on mid 70’s slab -- 1st timer on this kind of project, but with some tiling experience.

I plan to have a ¼” per foot slope using pitch sticks in building the pre-slope. After membrane, if I use pitch sticks again for the deck mud, the final slope will be ½” per foot. Is this correct, or over-slope?
Unread 10-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Overslope. quarter to three eights is optimal. Half will certainly drain, but you don't want to build a water park ski slope, eh?

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
barnyardie

Got it - thanks.

So utilize straight parallel sticks for the deck mud? I understand sticks, sloped or not, can be a useful guide for a newbie. or not?
Unread 10-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Another option is to use a surface-bonded membrane. In that way, there is only ONE mudbed to deal with and no rubber membrane needed. Look into "Kerdi Showers" on www.Schluter.com

Here is a video of the single mud bed install over plywood. If you have a slab, just ignore the tarpaper and wire lathe shown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fazbIqsw8E

Finally, here is a good video of setting the Schluter/Kerdi drain. First ten minutes or so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbd89xV0OpU

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The top mudbed is equal thickness, and just parallels the sloped one below.

A surface bonded waterproofing is, IMHO, a better shower where the entire enclosure is then waterproof rather than most of it being just water resistant.

Properly mixed deck mud is like wet beach sand, and is quite formable. Set a perimeter height, then pack a rim, fill in the middle and pack, then screed it by using the exterior rim you made and the drain, and you're done. It carves fairly easily, and you can throw some down, pack it in, and fill in a depression fairly easily, or scrape off a high spot.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 10-16-2020 at 08:46 PM.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Kman

I would recommend you go with a 3/8" slope, unless you plan to use pebbles on the floor, in which case you'll want to bump that up to 1/2".

If you're using a conventional liner and clamping drain, then you can make your pre-slope 1/4" or more, then set your top mud bed at 3/8-1/2". If you're using a surface-applied membrane, then just make the one mud bed 3/8-1/2".

Either way you go, there's a number of steps involved, and they're all crucial to having a proper working shower. Miss one step or get them out of order and things may not work right. Take a little time to educate yourself in the Liberry before you start, and ask as many questions as you want before you jump in, and we'll try to make it as easy as we can for you.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase