Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-07-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
msaccamango

Oh No! Marble Shower Floor is Chipping!

I finished a recent shower floor (6 months) that is chipping? The tiles are made of marble in an octagon shape.

The tile is chipping only under the rain shower head as it leaks at night sometimes.
This leads me think it is the dripping water. BUT why would this chip the tile? The leaking shower head is due to water that sites in the shower head after the valve is turned off.

The pan was set using a mud base and a pan liner. Then a second slope. The tile was also waterproofed…

Would you be so kind to please advise why is this happening. The tile floor sounds solid. Which is why i think it is the drip from the rain shower?

Mario
Attached Images

Unread 09-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Mario, welcome. What did you waterproof it with?

Marble is unpredictable and can deteriorate when used in showers and especially on shower floors. We've seen this many times over the years. One batch will be fine and the next batch will cause problems and is why we usually don't recommend it in showers.

You could probably replace those few tiles and it might fix the problem but it's likely you'll see more. You can live with it or replace the floor if it starts looking too bad.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I can't think of any mechanism by which the shower head could cause this.

More likely it's the flaking of strata within the stone itself Not all marble is created equal...mother nature saw to this.

With marble available now, I'm afraid you often get what you get, and the "fix" is learning to live with it.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase