Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
pls

Master Bath Design

I am a lot better at laying tile than designing. My wife and I also do better if someone else is helping us with design. The power room and hall bath are done and our master bathroom is next. Does anyone have experience working with an online designer that they would recommend?
Thanks
Unread 08-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Gozo

I do not. I’m too OCD to work with others. All kidding aside; the best tiling in a poor design will leave you unhappy for years. A good designer will nag the crap out of you to get to the core of what you’re looking for and what works for you. Most just nod their head and push at you what they like.
Tell us about the project; size, what you want in the room, etc. You’ll find the folks here have all sorts of unique points of view that will spur ideas you’d have never had on you’re own. I got some really good ideas that worked out great and glad I got the input. (Also some crappy ones that may have worked for others, but didn’t pass the test for my needs.). Variety is the spice of life; step up to the smorgasbord!
Unread 09-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Agree with Jeff, Phil. A good designer will also see things that a lot of folks won't, like if you put this here then that there will be in the way, etc. They can also help with selecting fixtures and hardware that all complement each other.

I hired a designer when I did my master bath. Single best contribution she made was suggesting a layout that I hadn't even considered. And while that layout created a LOT more work for me it really was the best one. Ultimately I let her go and took care of most of it myself.

Like Jeff said, many folks here will be happy to make suggestions and render their opinion and some, like me, might do so without even being asked.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2020, 05:46 AM   #4
pls

Thanks. I will try to gets some drawings created and will post them later. Any advice will be appreciated.
Unread 09-06-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

After I gutted our bath, I did some mock-ups using sheets of cardboard and cardboard boxes to get a sense of how things would feel and look in real life.

For example, there were a lot of options for this wall. It could have been a half wall and half glass divided horizontally or vertically. Or a 3/4 high wall that was open on top. After mocking up the different options, this design just felt like it was the best.
Attached Images

Unread 09-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
pls

Ok let's hear some opinions. I am not great at drawings but this is close to what we currently have. Bathroom on second floor. Window of course is on outside wall. There currently is a tub under the window but we do not plan on putting a tub back in. Was thinking of some sort of storage in that area. Double sink vanity is 6 ft long. Current area of shower is 61 x 33 and includes the bench. Should there be a wall where the bench is so I can add a niche? My wife will probably insist that there be some form of bench in the shower. Any suggestions appreciated.
Attached Images

Unread 09-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #7
Gozo

I’ll make the assumption that moving the window is a no go. How about moving the toilet the the wall adjacent to the window and make a privacy room for the toilet? The window offers odor ventilation when needed and on the second floor you’d still have privacy (except for the neighbor’s kid’s drone cam). That would give you room for a longer vanity area on the wall it’s on now, or separate vanities on the 2 adjacent walls. If you can move the door over to the side near where the vanity is now, you’d have more space for the shower area. At 8x10 it looks like a decent sized space; the possibilities are myriad (ooo....I like that word. Hope I used it right.)

Last edited by Gozo; 09-14-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Gozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #8
ss3964spd

IMO, a 6' vanity with double sinks doesn't leave a whole lotta counter top space. Also IMO, while 61" inches long is plenty for the shower, 33" wide is a bit narrow. To me the bench at the far end where there is no warm water would be a no-go. A corner bench near the shower head(s) would be better. While you probably want to avoid a niche in the outside wall, placing it on the far end away from the warm water is a bit of a walk to get to it, I'd try to place it on the other end.

Can the entry door be moved left or right? Can any of/all the plumbing be moved?
Unread 09-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
pls

The window is about 45 in above the floor. I would say moving it is a no go. I would prefer not to move the door but am willing to entertain ideas that include moving the door and plumbing. At the brainstorming stage there are no bad ideas.
Thanks
Unread 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
ss3964spd

How wide is the existing door, Phil, and how much space is there between the left side of the door and the front edge of the vanity in the current drawing?
Unread 09-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
pls

I will get back to you tonight with that info.
Thanks
Unread 09-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

If this is second story, the existing plumbing and orientation of joists will play a big role in planning placement, particularly toilet. This assumes that you don't want to get into ceiling and walls below.

I agree with door placement and also door swing, assuming it swings. Pocket doors can be nice or a PIA, depending on hardware and installation.

Reno design really needs to take existing into consideration unless more of the house is slated for make over. Something I've witnessed designers kinda ignore.

Lets start there.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #13
atljar

One of the best investments I have ever made is in Chief Architect software.

I dont use it entirely as intended or anywhere close to its full capabilities. Im DIY and not a pro. I dont use any of the estimating features, dont worry about grades and levels etc. What I do do is get an accurate room blueprint, accurate fixture and furniture sizes, and move walls, cabinets, fixtures around and see how things work/fit together. Its invaluable for doing things like these, short of hiring a designer to do it for you. The software itself is easy to learn if you arent super concerned about the structural behind the scene accuracy of your results. It also lets you "walk through" and see what feels tight, what feels too spacey etc
Unread 09-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #14
pls

11.5 inches from front edge of vanity top to outside edge of door trim. Door opening is 28 in.
Unread 09-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #15
ss3964spd

Peter brings up a good point about joist orientation and the impact it could have on fixture location.

Again, IMO I feel that 33" is a bit narrow for a shower and if there's an opportunity to make it wider I would. One way would be to use a 24" door instead of the 28" door, picking up 4" of width in the shower is huge. As viewed from the bathroom just re-frame the rough opening on the right side, leave the left where it is. Not too painful. More painful, but allows you to keep the 28" door, is to move it left by maybe 8" (since you have 11.5). If it currently swings into the bath see if it'll work by swinging it out into the bedroom. If that won't work make it swing in towards the shower.

Assuming the toilet cannot be moved.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase