Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
djxpress

Very tricky sink replacement. Should I try to tile it again?

I have this sink that needs to be replaced as the second reglazing job was less than satisfactory (pic was taken after the first reglazing job). I'm in a tricky spot because of the way the tiles are. There is an elevated "lip" that's at the side of the sink closest to where the person would stand. This sort of makes it hard to find a drop-in sink as the measurements are 21.5" exactly from backsplash tile to where the elevated tile starts.

I was looking online for yellow quarter round tiles and couldn't find any. So I figured the drop-in sink would probably be easier than trying to match tile and tile a new sink in.

What are your thoughts? Is this as difficult of a job as I think it will be? As a homeowner, who do I need to have do the job: a handyman, a tile person, a plumber?

Thank you very much as this is a job I've been putting off since I bought the house 5 years ago because of the perceived difficulty.
Attached Images

Unread 11-28-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, that's what they called a drain board. If you look close you can see that the counter top actually has pitch running from each end toward the sink. I believe the square tiles along the front edge were called box caps and of course are no longer made. So, if you plan to keep the old tiles, be very careful not to break or pry against the box caps. You might have to replace the square tiles next to the quarter rounds with white tiles too, depending on the size of your new sink.

The quarter round tiles around the sink can be removed and replaced with new white quarter rounds. No way to match the yellow tiles. Or you could look for a top set type sink that fits down on top of the tiles. These tiled in type sinks worked well to wipe water from the drainboard into the sink.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase