Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
tcolucci

Question Better Bench Installation

Is there any advantage to installing a Better Bench before the shower wall tiles are installed? I know it would mean drilling through the tiles but it would also save us time on cutting tiles to fit around it. We have decided to put one in our new shower and will be installing a granite slab piece as the top of the bench.

Thanks!
Teresa
tcolucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
iloveeva

I just finished doing exactly that. I installed the small version of the Better Bench corner seat in the shower area. I installed it before tiling. My thought was that in addition to the 4 bolts holding it in place, the tiles underneath would give some support and lock it in place. I tiled the bottom and front with porcelain tiles and used a piece of granite for the top (to match the granite for the vanity). I also used stainless steel lag bolts instead of the supplied bolts....maybe overkill, but this will eliminate the possibility of rusting out since the bolts will be wet. By the way, I am an amature, not a professional, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

-Richard
iloveeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
NCTILEMAN

Theresa, that bench should be installed before the tile goes on. The main reason is for support, you need to get that bench back against the studs or it won`t be strong enough. Gary
NCTILEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
pfeener

At the risk of jumping into this thread...how do you install a Better Bench in a Kerdi shower? Do you bolt it on through the Kerdi or do you put it on first and then Kerdi over it?
Unread 02-28-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
Derek & Jacqui

Send a message via MSN to Derek & Jacqui
Also before screwing to the wall fill holes in wall with silicone and along the two back sides of the bench.

NULLI SECONDUS
IMPOSSIBLE DONE IMMEDIATELY, MIRACLES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER
Derek & Jacqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
JJC
Tile Contractor

Kerdi the walls,then tile up to the location of the bench. Bolt the bench onto the wall. The bench is resting on the top row of tile. Pack it with mud. The next day I apply Kerdi over the bench and flash to the wall. It's waterproof!
Freeport, ME
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
sailfishoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcolucci
Is there any advantage to installing a Better Bench before the shower wall tiles are installed? I know it would mean drilling through the tiles but it would also save us time on cutting tiles to fit around it. We have decided to put one in our new shower and will be installing a granite slab piece as the top of the bench.

Thanks!
Teresa
i build my shower benches with cinder blocks and mud it with thin set , you dont need to drill any holes in your tile works great.
sailfishoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
tcolucci

Spoke to the techies at Innovis yesterday and will be installing the bench directly to the hardibacker per their instructions. Although I like the monument benches, I think this is the best answer to our somewhat small shower.

Thanks for all your inputs!
Teresa
tcolucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Teresa,

I agree that installing the Better Bench is best done before tiling, but the bench can be installed as a retro-fit. I only want to make that clear for others who might come along and read this thread down the road.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase