Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
gellfex
Jon

Need school on sanded caulks. Acrylic, silicone, brands?

I tried searching the site but could not come up with a good answer. I'm recaulking a counter to backsplash joint where the backsplash was grouted Laticrete Sterling Silver. I originally used their unsanded acrylic caulk, but didn't like the look, so after having to pull out the whole counter for a plumbing disaster I wanted to use sanded, but my dealer said they don't make sanded. Internet says he's wrong! Https://www.amazon.com/LATICRETE-PRE.../dp/B00K52MEB6

But after some more reading I'm thoroughly confused. I read some people elsewhere bitching mightily about Custom's sanded caulks not drying, though it seemed fine on a tub install I did recently. Now I see people saying that product isn't great for tubs and the custom mixed silicone is best. So, for an occasionally wet area like a counter, what product should I be using? And is the color equivalent chart trustworthy enough to use Mapei or some other off the shelf rather than having to order it from Amazon?
Unread 10-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Kman

I have an acrylic latex on my counter, and it's worked fine for years. In the long run will it hold up like silicone? Definitely not, but if it lasts a few years I'll take it.

Either way you decide to go, latex or silicone, look at GroutGetter.com. They have most manufacturers and most of their colors available. And they have latex acrylic, silicone, and an ultra-performance caulk. I usually get my orders within a week.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Premium Acrylic Caulk is good enough for most applications including bathtubs but they do not perform as well as silicon caulks like LATASIL.

The reason why silicone is better than most acrylic caulks is because they have better elasticity which allows them to withstand more elongation and contraction should there be a lot of movement. It is also all about proper joint construction and following recommended cure times. To properly construct a joint there should be enough of a gap, no less than 1/8" and the joint should have a backer rod or a bond breaker tape to separate the caulk from making contact with the substrate. Caulks are designed to make contact with 2 surfaces (side of edges) not 3 surfaces (edges and substrate). Curing time is also longer for acrylic caulks and if exposed to water before reaching full cure they may be compromised.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase